Report | Burnley 1-1 Wolves

Burnley 1 (Larsen 37) Wolves 1 (Ait-Nouri 45+3)

Rayan Ait-Nouri’s expertly guided header earned Wolves a point against Burnley, as the Old Gold came from behind under the lights at Turf Moor.

The point, which saw Wolves surpass last season’s total for the whole season, was earned after Gary O'Neil's side recovered from Jacob Bruun Larsen’s opener. Wolves got their leveller when Ait-Nouri headed home Pablo Sarabia’s free-kick on the stroke of half-time with his second goal in three Premier League matches.

The Algerian international could, and maybe should, have won the game after the break when he passed up a golden chance and Mario Lemina came close, but Jose Sa made big saves of his own, with a share of the spoils a fair result.

The stakes were high for both at Turf Moor, with Burnley starting the day in the drop zone and Wolves looking to improve their top half position. There was little between the two sides early on either, with Matt Doherty’s sliced effort, which failed to trouble Arijanet Muric, the first moment of any note up in Lancashire.

The Irishman, who’d been handed a rare Premier League start, then nodded a Sarabia corner back across goal for Joao Gomes, but unlike at Tottenham Hotspur, the Brazilian glanced his header wide of the mark. For the hosts, Vitinho fired their first shot of the evening straight at Sa.

There was nothing the Portuguese could do about the opening goal, however. Dara O’Shea clipped a cross over the top of Nelson Semedo, who’d been drawn inside leaving Larsen free at the back post, and the winger swept home a powerful effort beyond Sa for 1-0.

Wolves could have had the instant response they were craving, and Maximilian Kilman had a stab at another Sarabia corner and Leon Chiwome dragged the loose ball wide of the mark. Fortunately, in first half stoppage time, the Old Gold had an opportunity to put it right, however.

Ait-Nouri had won the free-kick with an incisive charge into the Burnley half, which resulted in a clip on the heels. Sarabia took responsibility and clipped in a fine free-kick which Ait-Nouri met with a perfectly guided header beyond the stretch of Muric. Wolves were level on the stroke of half-time.

Half-time | Burnley 1 Wolves 1

After the break, either side could have won it, but neither did. Wolves’ best chance fell to the goal scorer Ait-Nouri, who was sent in by Kilman and won the footrace with O’Shea and steadied himself before shooting but fired straight at Muric.

Like Wolves, Burnley were left looking at their goal scorer for more soon after. Larsen got to a cutback fell and connected with his effort firmly, but Sa stuck out a strong foot to keep his side level and did the same with a big hand to keep out Wilson Odobert’s effort a minute later.

With five minutes left, Wolves won the ball high up the pitch and Doherty and Gomes worked the ball to Ait-Nouri and his swinging cross found the late run of Lemina, but the midfielder couldn’t direct his diving header on target.

Both sides asked questions, but appeared to tire in the closing stages, with the effects of both playing away on Saturday maybe taking its toll, despite the return of Matheus Cunha from injury late on, leaving Wolves returning to the West Midlands with a point for their efforts.

Full-time | Burnley 1 Wolves 1

Burnley | Muric, O’Shea, Taylor, Berge, Foster (Manuel 86), Vitinho, Fofana, Cullen, Esteve, Larsen (Rodriguez 73), Odobert.

Unused subs | Vigouroux, Cork, Gudmundsson, Brownhill, Ekdal, Amdouni, Delcroix.

Wolves | Sa, Semedo, Kilman, Toti, H Bueno (S Bueno 68), Doherty, Gomes, Lemina, Ait-Nouri, Sarabia (Traore 83), Chiwome (Cunha 76).

Unused subs | Bentley, Doyle, N Lemina, Chirewa, Barnett, Fraser.