Brighton 2-2 Wolves | Match report

Brighton 2 (Maupay 34, Propper 36) Wolves 2 (Jota 28, 44)

Wolves extended their unbeaten Premier League record to 11 matches – their longest run without a top-flight defeat since 1962 – as Diogo Jota scored twice to earn his side a draw against Brighton & Hove Albion.

Jota’s double, either side of Neal Maupay and Davy Propper’s efforts which had put Brighton in front, were enough to lift Nuno Espirito Santo’s side up to sixth in the league table.

Sticking with the same 11 which secured all three points against West Ham United on Wednesday evening, Nuno’s men could have found themselves behind with just two minutes on the clock. Jonny made two crucial blocks to stop a pair of goalbound efforts for the Seagulls before Lewis Dunk headed over from a corner. Maupay was next to have a shot towards Rui Patricio’s goal, but Wolves’ Portuguese keeper got down low to make a comfortable save.

Jota had Wolves’ first effort within the first five minutes after Jonny broke forward towards the Brighton penalty area, but after laying the ball off to Jota, the Portuguese forward could not direct his shot on target.

It was almost a spectacular opening goal for Wolves when a mix-up in the Brighton defence allowed Neves to run onto the ball 25 yards out from goal and let fly towards Mat Ryan’s net. Unfortunately for the Wolves midfielder, his curling strike swerved inches wide of the post.

Wolves continued to press for the opening goal and from a well-worked corner routine, Raul Jimenez lifted the ball onto the head of Romain Saiss, but Ryan somehow managed to get his hands down low and stop the ball from crossing the goal line.

Jimenez was the next Wolves player to test the Brighton defence which was playing straight into the visitor’s hands. After another mix-up in the hosts’ defence, Jota won the ball high before squaring for Jimenez who tried to shoot on the turn but could not get any power on his effort.

However, Wolves didn’t have to wait long for the goal to arrive. Through a swift counter-attack Jota ended up placing the ball beyond Ryan and into the back of the net. The Wolves forward first played a one-two with Jonny before sliding the ball to Jimenez on the wing. The Mexican then powered down the left-hand side and lay his cross back across the area to the onrushing Jota who finished first time.

Moments after Jota missed an opportunity to double his tally for the evening, Brighton equalised. Dale Stephens lifted the ball over the visitor’s defence and straight to the feet of Maupay, who took a touch before firing low past Patricio.

After having the best of the chances during the early stages, Wolves found themselves behind just two minutes later when Leandro Trossard’s cross found the head of Propper in the centre of the Wolves penalty area who diverted the ball beyond the outstretched arms of Patricio.

Two minutes before the break and Wolves were back in the tie. More slack passing in the Brighton defence saw Jonny gain the ball midway inside the Seagull’s half, with the wing-back finding Jota in the area with his back to goal, who, on the turn, managed to place the ball into the bottom right corner of the net.

Half-time: Brighton 2 Wolves 2

The end-to-end contest continued following the break, with Wolves close to regaining the lead just moments after half-time. Matt Doherty found himself in a central position in in the Brighton area and jumps highest to glance a header towards the far post, but Ryan was able to gather at the second attempt.

Both teams created chances, but neither of them could force their opposing goalkeepers into saves, with Maupay firing an effort wide from 25 yards out.

VAR was called into action on the hour mark when the ball appeared to have hit Dunk on the arm as he was on the ground in the Brighton area after blocking a Jota shot, but after numerous replays, no penalty was given for the team in gold and black.

Another piece of slack passing at the back, but this time from Wolves could have seen Brighton take the lead when Jonny offered the ball straight to Stephens who hit a curling shot first time which missed just wide of Patricio’s right upright.

As the half wore on, much of Wolves’ play was going through Adama Traore, with Brighton deciding that the best way to deal with the speedy right-winger was to bring him down. This tactic saw Dunk, Dan Burn and Stephens end up in Jon Moss’ notebook.

Similarly to Wednesday night’s victory over West Ham, Nuno brought on Pedro Neto and Patrick Cutrone in the latter stages of the contest, and the pair almost came close to notching the fifth goal of the game when the Italian was played through over the top before crossing for his Portuguese team-mate, but Neto could not get a decisive touch in the penalty area and Brighton cleared the danger.

Although Wolves pushed for the winning goal, Nuno’s men had to settle for a point on the south coast to maintain their unbeaten Premier League run which now tallies 11 matches without defeat.

Full-time: Brighton 2 Wolves 2

Brighton: Ryan, Alzate, Dunk, Webster, Burn, Stephens, Propper, Mooy, Gross (Jahanbakhsh 68), Trossard (Murray 68), Maupay.

Unused subs: Button, Montoya, Duffy, Bernardo, Bissouma.

Wolves: Patricio, Doherty, Dendoncker, Coady, Saiss, Jonny, Neves, Moutinho, Traore (Vinagre 90), Jota (Neto 77), Jimenez (Cutrone 85).

Unused subs: Ruddy, Vallejo, Bennett, Kilman.

Referee: Jon Moss

Attendance: 30,189