Digging Deep to Win

Second half goal seals the points

TNS Ladies 0

Wolves Women 1 (J. Cross 65)


Jade Cross's second half goal secured victory for Wolves Women against TNS Ladies on a heavy pitch at Foxen Manor.

In their first league game of the year, Wolves shot out of the blocks, almost scoring inside the first minute as Jade Cross picked up an early ball from Amber Quick, but her shot was narrowly wide.

Just two minutes later it was TNS’s turn, but Wolves’ keeper Sophie Glenny made a great save at the feet of the opposing striker.

The pitch conditions were proving difficult for both teams, with players regularly losing their footing on the muddy ground.

Wolves were having a great spell of pressure, with shots from Hewitt, Luke and Cross all just failing to hit the target.

Then, on the half hour mark, TNS’s Sophie Edwards unleashed a powerful 30 yard shot at goal, which went just inches wide.

Anna Perks sent a great ball through to Cross, who nicked it off the keeper and had the goal at her mercy, but the pitch saved the day as she slipped.

Whetton picked up an excellent ball from Hewitt, and her shot was saved by the TNS keeper, who tipped it over the bar.

After a tough first half battle the sides went into the break goalless, but with Wolves having the edge.

The battle continued after the break and it was TNS who won an early corner which caused trouble in the Wolves box, but they managed to clear.

Then it was Wolves’ turn, as Jade Cross beat the defenders and shot from a narrow angle, but the ball went just over the bar.

Wolves had a lucky escape in the 63rd minute after Emily Ridge rounded Glenny in the Wolves goal and took a shot, but the ball got stuck in the mud and Wolves were able to clear.

In the 65th minute Perks played a wonderful ball to Jade Cross, who rounded the keeper before finishing perfectly to break the deadlock.

TNS were spurred on, trying to find an equaliser, and would have done so in the 70th minute, but for an unbelievable acrobatic save from Glenny to keep the score at 1-0 to Wolves.

Wolves almost got themselves a second late on in the game after Cross was able to find Quick in the box, but her shot went just went wide.

With 90 minutes on the clock, TNS were still pressing hard, and saw a shot from 20 yards out go past the post. Wolves stood firm and managed to see the game out to take all three points.

Manager Tim Dudding said: "It was a hard fought battle, with players digging deep to win in spite of the harsh conditions.

“But that's one thing guaranteed with the players and staff associated with this club, that we will battle and aim to give 100%.

“We come away with three points, and look to go again, improving in every which way possible to allow us to move forward.”


* Next Sunday 5th February sees Wolves Women host Steel City Wanderers at Hednesford Town FC with a 2pm kick-off. Admission £2; concessions £1.


TEAM:Glenny, Hakeman, Brackenbury, E. Cross, Anslow, Perks (C), Luke, Quick, Hewitt (James), Whetton (Moran 80), J. Cross. SUBS:Meeson, McQuilkin, Richards.