Shop now

Left for Guaranteed UK Christmas delivery, shop now!

Under-23 report | Fulham 0-2 Wolves

Fulham 0 Wolves 2 (Samuels 61, Campbell 90)

A tap-in from Austin Samuels and a long-range rocket from Chem Campbell helped Wolves to two wins in five days as the development side took down Fulham in south-west London.

Wolves once again got out of the blocks quickly, and could have taken the lead as early as the fifth minute when Luke Cundle’s corner was headed goalwards by Nigel Lonwijk in the centre of the box, but was headed off the line by Marlon Fossey.

Theo Corbeanu was a menace in Fulham’s side for much of the first-half, and twice tested the home’s keeper Luca Ashby-Hammond, with the second attempt seeing the Canadian winger power in between three defenders before pulling the trigger.

Fulham had their first opportunity of the match with 15 minutes on the clock when Jean-Pierre Tiehi picked up the ball on the edge of the area before turning Jack Scott and getting a shot at goal which flew narrowly wide of Andreas Sondergaard’s right-hand post.

Ashby-Hammond was the hero for Fulham once again as he pulled off a stunning diving save to deny Cundle’s shot from the edge of the box. Corbeanu had got down the right and pulled a cross into the box which was cleared only as far as Cundle who aimed his shot into the bottom corner, but the Fulham keeper was more than a match to palm the ball away.

The hosts grew into the game as the half went on, and they were inches away from taking the lead against the run of play as Sylvester Jasper got past Scott and fired a pass across the face of goal which Tiehi slid in past Sondergaard, but Wolves were saved by the assistant’s flag.

Wolves could have taken the lead straight from the kick-off for the second period when the ball found its way to Cundle near the corner of the penalty area, but the midfielder’s shot flew across goal and just wide of the post.

The chances kept coming, but the next one fell Fulham’s way, but Jasper, who had got free on the left was unable to curl his effort inside the far post.

Wolves finally got the break their play deserved just after the hour mark when the ball found its way to Samuels after a corner was not cleared by Fulham and the striker hammered the ball into the net from close range.

The visitors came close to doubling their advantage just moments later when Owen Hesketh, fresh from scoring three in his first four appearances for the under-23s headed narrowly over from inside the penalty area.

Wolves pushed to put the game beyond bed and had an opportunity through Samuels, who found space before firing a shot goalwards, but it was comfortable for Ashby-Hammond.

With the game heading into added time, Wolves found a way past the Fulham keeper, with Campbell launching a bullet effort from the edge of the penalty area after the ball ran loose, securing the points for the old gold.


James Collins’ under-23s will be back in next Friday as they face Premier League 2 Division 2 leaders Leeds United at Aggborough, live on Wolves TV.


05/03 Leeds United (H)

14/03 Sunderland (H)

22/03 Middlesbrough (A)

02//04 Aston Villa (A)

12/04 Newcastle United (H)

*indicates first-team opposition


Fulham: Ashby-Hammond, Fossey, Harris, Duru, McAvoy, Francois, Mundle-Smith, Pajaziti, Jasper, Davis, Tiehi.

Subs: Fanshawe, Murphy, Aina, Larkeche, De Havilland.

Wolves: Sondergaard, Scott, Lonwijk, Richards, Bueno, Hong Wan, Cundle, Hesketh, Corbeanu, Campbell, Samuels.

Subs: Young, Nya, Mayounga, Agboola, Carty.