Cup Exit For Wolves

Wolves missed a late penalty as a much-changed Wolves team were beaten 2-1 by Northern Premier League side Stourbridge as they crashed out of the Birmingham Senior Cup.

Stourbridge 2

Wolves 1


Wolves, who were finalists in the competition last season, conceded two goals in quick secession as Aaron Forde and Jack Duggan put the hosts into a two-goal lead.


 Jose Xavier pulled a goal back for the visitors in stoppage time at the end of the first half as he headed Adam Osbourne's cross into the top corner.


Wolves were much the better side in the second half and had the chance to draw level in the final minute of stoppage time. It wasn't to be as Jordan Allan saw his penalty saved by Gould and the hosts went through to the next round of the Birmingham Senior Cup.


On a testing pitch, it was the hosts who had the first sight at goal. Kyle Perry held off Aaron Simpson before turning and shooting towards goal only to be blocked by a superb last-ditch challenge from Hakeem  Odoffin.


Jose Xavier, who started the game up front for Wolves, had Wolves' first effort in the 12th minute. After receiving the ball on the edge of the box, he struck a shot which missed the post by inches.


It was the hosts who took the lead in the 16th minute. A long throw came in from the right hand side from the Stourbridge skipper Tonks. Jon Flatt came out to punch the throw-in clear which fell to Aaron Forde who volleyed past Flatt from 18 yards out.


Stourbridge extended their lead just minutes later. Tonks was again the provider as his corner picked out Jack Duggan who headed powerfully beyond Flatt.


Finnie had Wolves' first shot on target as he broke down the left before driving an effort towards the near post which was acrobatically saved by Gould in the Stourbridge goal.


In three minutes of added time at the end of the first half, Wolves halved the deficit. Adam Osbourne beat his man down the left hand side before producing a stunning cross which Jose Xavier headed into the top corner.


Half-Time: Stourbridge 2 Wolves 1


Wolves started the second half the better side with Yang and Levingston going close in the opening stages of the half.


Randall then went close for Wolves as he showed good skill to beat his man down the left side before driving an effort towards goal. It looked to be a certain goal only for Hall to clear off the line for the hosts.


Wolves had all of the possession in the second half as Stourbridge sat in behind the ball. Rainey forced a smart save out of Gould as he met Carnat's corner with his head. 


Wolves best chance came through Will Randall. He skipped past two Stourbridge defenders which put him through on goal. It seemed that all he had to do was hit the target, but his effort went over the bar.


In stoppage time, Jon Flatt was fouled in the box as he came up for a free kick in the final embers of the game. Jordan Allan stepped up to take the penalty but Gould guessed the right way and parried his effort to safety.


Full-Time: Stourbridge 2 Wolves 1


Stourbridge: Gould, Green, Hall, McCone (Pierpoint; 23), Duggan, Forde (Evans; 46), Tonks (c) (Hague; 62), Cooke, Perry, Gater, Shearer.


Unused Subs: Cameron, Gomes.




Wolves: Flatt, Rainey (Samuels; 80), Osbourne, Finnie, Simpson, Odoffin (c), Heredia (Carnat; 60), Levingston (Allan; 60), Xavier, Ming-Yang Yang, Randall.


Unused Subs: John, Watt.


Bookings: Yang - Foul


Referee:  Jack Shepherd


Attendance: 523