Entertaining Draw for the Under 21s

Reid bags first goal since comeback

Wolves 1 (Reid 32)


Swansea City 1 (Jones 72)


A highly competitive and entertaining fixture between Wolves and Swansea finished all square in what was the final appearance of the season at the Bucks Head for the club’s under 21s with their remaining home fixture, against Fulham, to be played at Molineux.


The first shot of the game came from Swansea’s Daniel James who hammered the ball straight at Aaron McCarey. But it took an impressive save from McCarey to deny City in the ninth minute.


Ryan Blair’s corner dropped on the far side of the six-yard box and the ball was headed back into the middle by Stephen Kingsley. When it dropped for Keston Davies he looked a certain scorer until McCarey clawed the ball away from right on the goal-line.


The danger wasn’t over, however, and from Blair’s second corner Kingsley hit a goalbound volley that struck a body in the crowded box and ballooned up in the air before being cleared.


The visitors were pressing hard but they were almost caught out by Bradley Reid who turned his marker and hit a fierce angled shot that City keeper Josh Vickers caught with both hands above his head,


After a slow start Wolves had been making inroads on the Swansea defence and they moved ahead in the 32nd minute through Reid who sent a far post header across goal and into the far side of the net after a good cross from Armstrong. It was Reid's first goal since returning from a long term injury picked up after a prolific spell at the start of the season.


Swansea hit back with a great run and cross from James forcing McCarey to dive forward and punch the ball away. It fell to Adam King who volleyed high and wide.


Wolves could have had a second in the 43rd minutes after Kingsley scuffed a clearance. Armstrong pounced and hit a low shot that was deflected behind for a corner.


Just before the break Botti Biabi was wide with a diving header after a centre from Kingsley.


Half-Time: Wolves 1 Swansea 0


Swansea weren’t far off an equaliser in the 55th minute when James hit a cross-shot that flew inches wide of McCarey’s far post.


Vickers confidently held an inswinging free-kick from Connor Hunte before Swansea made their third change of the night with Owain Jones replacing Biabi in the 70th minute.


And Jones had only been on the pitch for a matter of seconds when he took advantage of hesitancy in the Wolves defence as he ran onto James’s through ball to beat McCarey.


Scott Sellars then used up all three of his substitutions in a three minute spell with Christian Herc, Will Randall and Aaron Collins taking the places of Hunte, Bright Enobakhare and Armstrong respectively.


A shot from James was deflected behind for a corner and McCarey made a fine save from Jones in a frenetic finale to the game with both sides going in search of a winner as play swung from end to end.


There were corners at either end in the three minutes of added time but the score remained at 1-1,  Wolves’ fourth League draw in succession.


Wolves: McCarey, Odoffin, Deslandes, Rainey, Hayden, Upton (capt), Armstrong (Collins 79), Ronan, Reid, Enobakhare (Herc 76), Hunte (Randall 76).


Unused subs: Breslin, Wilson.


Booking: Deslandes (73 – foul).


Swansea: Vickers, Shepherd (capt) (Gogic 56), Kingsley, Fulton, Davies, Rodon, James, King, Biabi (Jones 70), Blair (Maric 45), Gorre.


Unused subs: Bray, Zabret.


Booking: Fulton (89 – unsporting behaviour).


Referee: S. Garratt.


Attendance: 93.