Ashton Agony

Ashton Agony
Wolves unbeaten run came to a disappointing end at Ashton Gate as Bristol City eased their relegation fears scoring three times with the only response from the visitors a late consolation from substitute Jon Dadi Bodvarsson..
With Helder Costa still ruled out through injury, Paul Lambert decided to make just the one change to the team that had beaten Nottingham Forest in midweek with Morgan Gibbs-White making his first start for the club in place of Ivan Cavaleiro who was named as a substitute.
On a glorious, sunny afternoon, City kicked-off attacking the end of the ground that housed around 2,500 travelling fans.
An early shot from Nouha Dicko was well wide and, for City, Jamie Paterson’s free-kick into the box was headed out by Kortney Hause.
Gibbs-White’s through ball in the eighth minute put Dicko on a run for goal but City keeper Frank Fielding won the one on one dual blocking the striker’s shot at close quarters.
Danny Batth and Tammy Abraham both needed attention after a clash of heads in the Wolves area but both were soon back in the thick of things.
Wanderers were close to conceding in the 21st minute when Paterson’s looping header from Korey Smith’s corner went over everyone’s heads and struck the bar before being cleared.
Although he appeared to win the ball, Dave Edwards was booked for a challenge on Paterson whose free-kick then drifted harmlessly out of play.
But it was Paterson that gave City the lead in the 33rd minute. He took a return pass from Matty Taylor and, from 20-yards, curled the ball into the top corner beyond the outstretched fingers of Andy Lonergan.
Six minutes later and the visitors suddenly found themselves facing a two goal deficit after City were awarded a penalty following a coming together of Matt Doherty and former Wolf Mark Little. 
It was a decision that wasn’t universally popular with the Wolves players and supporters behind the goal, but Abraham sent Lonergan the wrong way from the spot.
Just before the break, Doherty was fouled near the left-hand corner of the home area and Fielding did well to claim Ben Marshall’s free-kick from the heart of a crowded six-yard box.
Half-Time: City 2 Wolves 0 
Four minutes after the restart, there was a chance for Doherty when he ran onto a short pass from Marshall in the City box only to be dispossessed as he was about to shoot.
Just seconds later the ball was in the back of the Wolves net. Smith rolled over a low cross from the right leaving Abraham with the easiest of tap ins for City’s third of the afternoon.
Wanderers were close to pulling one back when Marshall found some space in the area but his attempt to find the opposite corner with inches wide of the angle.
Gibbs-White was replaced by Cavaleiro in the 53rd minute but, before the substitute had a chance to get involved, Lonergan had to produce a flying save to keep out Aden Flint’s header following a cross from Josh Brownhill.
Cavaleiro was too high with a 25-yard free-kick after he had been fouled by Flint who was yellow carded, then a second Wolves change saw Bodvarsson replacing Dicko.
And it was Bodvarsson that finally gave the visiting fans something to cheer when he forced the ball home from close range after a shot from Lee Evans was deflected into his path.
Almost immediately Evans had the chance of a second with a well struck shot effort 18-yards, but Fielding made, what was for Bristol, a crucial diving save.
The keeper then made an easier save from a low drive from Andi Weimann but it was all too little, too late from the Molineux men.
City: Fielding, Little, Bryan, Flint, Smith (capt), Brownhill, Abraham (Hegeler 90+5), Taylor (Wilbraham 74), Paterson (O’Dowda 85), Pack, Wright.
Unused subs: Giefer, Tomlin, Magnusson, Cotterill.
Booking: Flint (62 – foul).
Wolves: Lonergan, Doherty, Coady, Edwards, Batth (capt), Hause, Gibbs-White (Cavaleiro 53), Weimann, Dicko (Bodvarsson 63), Evans (Saiss 80), Marshall.
Unused subs: Burgoyne, Saville, Price, Williamson.
Booking: Edwards (30)
Referee: J. Adcock.
Attendance: 20,323 (2,560 away supporters).