U18 report | Wolves 1-2 Man Utd

Wolves 1 (C. McLeod 19) Man Utd 2 (Biancheri 11, 23)

Gabe Biancheri’s brace secured Manchester United the U18 Premier League title at Compton Park on Tuesday.

Wolves were narrowly beaten in a tight encounter which saw Biancheri score either side of Conor McLeod’s equaliser.

United though they’d taken the lead early on when James Scanlon saw his shot tipped away, before Ethan Williams teed up Biancheri to convert the pull-back from the byline, however a corner was awarded as the ball had already gone out.

Just two minutes later, Jack Fletcher teed up James Nolan whose first time strike curled narrowly wide of the far post.

In the 11th minute, the breakthrough did come when Zachary Baumann rolled the ball across the box for Biancheri who finished first time in the bottom corner.

However, despite strong opposition and a tough start to the match, the response from Richard Walker’s side was positive, so much so the Old Gold drew level in the 19th minute.

Some nice footwork from Minkyu Ji saw him get to the byline, before cutting back for McLeod who emphatically hammered home from inside the area.

Straight up the other end, the Reds nearly instantly restored their lead when, from kick off, a long ball over the top picked out Biancheri who hit the post from a narrow angle.

However, in the 23rd minute, Wolves did fall behind again when another long ball in behind the backline found Scanlon who rolled across to Biancheri who tapped home for his second of the game.

In the 36th minute, a persistent and determined run by Lennon Patterson saw him make his way into the box, where he bravely challenged goalkeeper Elyh Harrison. The ball then ricocheted and was subsequently cleared off the line. Unfortunately, Harrison went off injured following the collision with both players showing bravery to go for the ball, and the goalkeeper had to be replaced after a few minutes of stoppage. 

Half-time | Wolves 1-2 Man Utd 

With three goals in the first half and a plethora of goalmouth action, the second 45 would do well to live up to that level of entertainment. 

Looking to get back into the game, it was the Old Gold who had the first chance after the break when Ji was taken out on the edge of the area, however goal scorer McLeod fired into the wall and could not add to his tally.

For the visitors, Williams whipped in an inviting cross, which was met by Biancheri who headed wide. 

Perhaps with one eye on the title for the visitors, and a plan in place for the Old Gold to limit space in behind, the second half was a lot more evenly contested with chances few and far between.

In fact, Lewys Benjamin wasn’t called into action until a few minutes from time, when a loose pass was picked upon, some nice feet by Shea Lacey presented a shooting opportunity which was well saved by the Welsh stopper. 

With that, the final minutes of the game did not throw up any late drama, as United went on to secure the 2-1 win and the title, with another spirited competitive performance by Wolves on display against top opposition. 

Full-time | Wolves 1-2 Man Utd 


Wolves | Benjamin, Igbinoghene, Carson, Diomande (Mandey 88), Reynolds, C. McLeod, Bradbury (Nyakudya 85), Patterson, Ji (Harper 74), Angel, Ashworth. 

Subs not used | Hardy, Stevens. 

Man Utd | Harrison (Myles 43), Jackson, Kingdon, Nolan, Kamason, McAllister, Williams (Curley 74), Baumann (Missin 61), Scanlon, Biancheri (Lacey 74), Fletcher (Devaney 62).


Newcastle United (H) – 20/04
Liverpool (A) – 27/04
Leeds United (A) – 01/05
Derby County (H) – 04/05

Report by Fraser Bishop