Wolves 1-2 Wigan Athletic | Match report

Wolves 1 (Samuels 46’) Wigan Athletic 2 (Baningime 31’, C Jolley 45’)

Austin Samuel’s second half effort was not enough for Wolves to claim a place in the fourth round of the FA Youth Cup, after Wigan came out on top in a tough-tackling contest in front of almost 400 fans at Molineux.

Darren Ryan’s side, who found themselves down to ten men after Chem Campbell was sent off for a rash challenge inside the first 15 minutes of the second half, were 2-0 down at the end of the first half through Divin Baningime and Charlie Jolley strikes, before Samuels got Wolves back into the match.

After an even first 10 minutes of the match, Wigan had the first clear chance when a free kick, whipped in by Scott Smith from the left, was headed behind and out for a corner by the Wolves defence.

Wolves had the chance to take the lead from a well-positioned free kick after Jaden Forrester was fouled. Taylor Perry curled a cross in from about 25 yards out on the left, but the cross evaded everyone in the box.

From the free kick, the visitors went straight up the other end and took the lead, just after the half an hour mark. Divin Baningime put Wigan in front after getting on the end of a Luke Robinson cross and firing a shot past Jackson Smith in the Wolves goal.

There was a break in play after Taylor Perry had to be stretchered off, but Wolves had another chance to go in front as Austin Samuels found himself in a good position inside the Wigan half. He drove towards goal before unleashing a powerful shot from about 25 yards out, but it sailed high over the bar.

However, almost immediately Wigan extended their lead when the visitors broke quickly up the pitch. The ball ended up at the feet of Charlie Jolley who aimed a low driving shot across Smith and into the bottom right corner of the net, putting his side 2-0 up going into half time.

Straight from the kick-off Wolves raced up the pitch and got themselves back to within one goal. Samuels found himself with the ball mid-way inside the area and slotted his finish past Jones to the delight of the Molineux crowd.

Just 15 minutes into the second half Wolves found themselves down to ten men after Chem Campbell was given a red card for a hard challenge on Harry Jolley.

Wolves continued to pile the pressure onto Wigan in the second half, but it was the away side who had the best of the chances, and it took a great one-on-one save from Smith to keep Wigan from confirming the victory.

However, neither side could find another goal, and it was Wigan who went through and they know face a trip to Hull City in the fourth round.


Wolves under-18s are heading to Japan on Friday to take part in an under-17s J-League tournament, where they will face sides from across the globe. They will next be back in Premier League U18 North action in January when they host Everton.


12/1 Everton (H)

2/2 Newcastle United (H)

9/2 Sunderland (A)

23/2 West Bromwich Albion (A)

2/3 Stoke City (H)


Wolves: Smith, Thompson, Joseph (O’Sullivan 57), Taylor, Richards, Berkoe, Forrester (Corbeanu 77), Perry (Cundle 37), Samuels, Campbell, Carty.

Unused subs: Townsend, Parker.

Wigan Athletic: Jones, H Jolley (Culshaw 63), Robinson, Obi, Long, Smith, Weir, McGuffie, C Jolley, Gelhardt, Baningime (Joseph 89).

Unused subs: Tickle, Berry, Galvin.