Another Cup Progression

Victory at Rugby

Rugby Town 0

Wolves 3 (Carr 52, Allen 61, Finnie 85)


Wolves are through to the third round of the Birmingham Senior Cup after overcoming Rugby Town in a competitive meeting at Butlin Road on Tuesday evening.

There was an early chance for Town’s David Kolodynski who fired wide, and Dan Armstrong almost found a way through as he ran onto Connor Levinston’s pass but he was crowded out and forced wide before he could get a shot away.

Hakim Odoffin’s header was taken by home keeper Dan Jezeph after a deep cross from the left, and Ryan Leak’s foul on Kolodynski, just outside the box, gave Town a free-kick that Mitchell Thompson hit straight to Rory Brown in the Wanderers goal.

When Armstrong was fouled some 30-yards out, Ross Finnie lifted over the free-kick and Armstrong’s header was taken by Jezeph.

Luck was with the visitors in the 27th minute when Leigh Phillips burst through the middle and smacked a shot against the inside of the far post. The ball bounced back through the goalmouth before being cleared.

From the third of three quickfire Armstrong corners, Brad Carr fired over and then Armstrong hit a 25-yard shot that Jezeph knocked down before claiming. For Rugby, Harry Holloway headed over following a Thompson corner.

Shortly before the break Brown held a free-kick from Thompson.

Half-Time: Rugby 0 Wolves 0

Wolves took the lead seven minutes after the break. Armstrong got the better of his marker on the left before delivering a searching cross and Carr dived to head past Jezeph.

Mason Rowley was inches away from equalising when he got a firm head to Thompson’s free-kick, but Wolves doubled their advantage in the 61st minute when Joe Delacoe’s squared pass provided Jordan Allen with the chance of converting from close range.

Over a ten minute spell Wolves used up their three substitutes with Brandon Ball replacing Deon Sanderson, Dan McKenna going on for Levingston and Austin Samuels for Allen.

Unfortunately, Samuels was the victim of a late challenge from Rowley just four minutes after coming on and after lengthy treatment he hobbled off leaving Wanderers to play the final 15 minutes with just ten men.

But Wolves held on comfortably and, five minutes from the end, they added a third through Finnie’s comprehensive sidefoot finish after Delacoe had driven the ball across.

Town: Joseph, Punter, Hudson, Holloway, Rowley (capt), Palmer, Phillips, Thompson (Moran 66), Kolodynski, Sterling (Hadland 45), Campbell.

Unused sub: Bodycote.

Wolves: Brown, Odoffin, John, Finnie (capt), Sanderson (Ball 61), Leak, Carr, Levingston (McKenna 65), Allen (Samuels 71), Armstrong, Delacoe.

Unused subs: Watt, Beasely.

Referee: R. Watkins.