Women’s report | Lincoln 2-3 Wolves

Lincoln 2 (Wilcock 47, Gilliatt 84) Wolves 3 (Price 2, Palmer 77, Walker 90)

A last-minute Lowri Walker header saw first defeat second on Sunday and extended Wolves’ perfect start to the new campaign.

Anna Price, making her 300th appearance for Wolves, opened the scoring, and Wolves regained the lead through Jamila Palmer, but the hosts twice came back, before Walker won it at the death for the old gold.

It took just two minutes for Wolves to open the scoring in Lincolnshire, as Price rose highest to meet a wide Anna Morphet free-kick and looped her header over the goalkeeper for 1-0.

That early goal helped settle any Wolves nerves and it could have been two on ten minutes when Tammi George raced down the right, had an effort blocked, and then fired into the side netting.

Jade Cross had been passed fit to start and was also lively in the open stages, showing her confidence with an audacious lob over the Lincoln goalkeeper, but unfortunately, the ball failed to drop in.

In what was becoming a fiery affair, Wolves picked up where they left off in the second period, with Walker stinging the palms of the Lincoln stopper.

However, the hosts soon found their first of two equalisers when Lauryn Wilcock raced past the Wolves defence and fired into the far corner from close range.

Wolves responded positively though, first Cross had a header ruled out for offside, before Kate Evans raced clear through, but couldn’t find the suitable finish on two occasions.

However, with ten minutes left, Wolves did regain the lead through a piece of individual brilliance. Palmer’s magnificent half-volley from distance flew in and sent the Wolves bench wild in celebration.

Unfortunately, though, the positivity was short-lived, as Ellie Gilliatt looped an effort in from near the corner flag, to stun Wolves.

Yet, there was still more drama ahead and the sting in the tail was suffered by the hosts. This time, it was Walker who headed in from close range to spark scenes of celebration, as Wolves continued their 100 per cent start.


Manager Dan McNamara summed up his emotions post-match, after the most dramatic of victories.

“It was incredible. The girls showed so much desire, I told them to enjoy this moment because they don't come around very often, to win in that fashion.

“All great teams don't always win with nice football. Lincoln is a very tough place to come and I thought they played well. It doesn't matter what the performance was like, we are going home with three points.

“You cannot beat a last-minute winner. You saw from the bench and the staff on how much it meant. We knew it would be a big result if we could get three points.”

The stakes were high at Lincoln and, at times, that was felt during a hectic game, McNamara admits.

“There was a frantic feeling over the pitch, the girls felt it. I apologised to the girls at half-time because the franticness came from myself and the staff.

“The girls were hurting after what happened last year, they worked so hard today.”

Finally, the head coach had a special word for Price, who scored on her 300th match in old gold.

“She wins headers, she battles, she scores goal and she gets the girls going. 300 appearances for one club is superb. She makes your decision easy every week.”


Wolves turn their attention to the Vitality Women’s FA Cup next weekend, when they travel to Grange Park to take on Long Eaton.


1/11 | Long Eaton (A) | FA Cup

8/11 | Long Eaton (H)

22/11 | Boldmere SMW (A)

29/11 | Doncaster Rovers Belles (A)

6/12| Bedworth United (H)


Lincoln: Halloran, Thornley, Kay, Cooper, Crosby, Williams, Hardy, Blinkhorn, Rousseau, Wilcock, Gilliatt.

Subs: Atkinson, Marsh, Scotland, Chambers.

Wolves: Thomas, Darby, E Cross, Morphet, Price, Wilson, George, Evans, J Cross, Walker, Miller.

Subs: Widdal, Jennings, Renken, Palmer, Gardner.

By Jake Leach