Magnificent Seven in County Cup

Ladies Move Through To Quarter Finals

Wolves Women 7 (J. Cross 11, 56; J. Hewitt 19, 71, 78; Lal 79, Moran 85)

University of Warwick 0

Wolves Women booked themselves a place in the Quarter Final of the Birmingham County Cup with a convincing 7-0 win over The University of Warwick at Hednesford Town.

The game had a special significance as the club held a minute’s silence in honour of Wolves Vice President Rachael Heyhoe Flint before kick-off.

Rachael was a huge support to Wolves Girls and Women over many years, serving on the board of directors and laying the foundations for the club to be brought into the fold at Wolverhampton Wanderers as it is today.

After an impeccably-observed silence, the home side got straight down to business, and were on the attack from the kick-off, with Jen Anslow hitting a cross into the box in only the second minute, but it went straight to the keeper.

Wolves kept up the pressure, and it paid off in the 11th minute after Vicky Brackenbury's header from a corner was cleared off the line and Jade Cross poked the ball into the net to take the lead.

Just three minutes later debutante Rosie Hargreaves was inches away from connecting with a teasing Anslow cross.

Wolves were awarded a penalty in the 18th minute as Anslow was tripped in the box, and Jade Hewitt converted into the bottom corner of the net to make it 2-0.

The chances kept coming, with Brackenbury firing over the bar from close range before Emma Cross took a shot from 18 yards, but it was held by the keeper.

Wolves’ keeper Sophie Glenny was called into action in the 28th minute after a sloppy pass in the defence sent Beganovic on her way, but Glenny saved at her feet.

Skipper Hakeman made a rare foray into the box in the 38th minute, but her effort was too high.

Just a minute later Hewitt thought she had scrambled the ball over the line from an Anslow corner, but it was cleared in time according to the referee.

With Wolves still on top, the half finished 2-0.

The second half saw another debutante - Esme Moran straight into the action.

She sent the ball into the box, but it was just too close to the keeper for Cross to get on the end of it.

Wolves found a third goal in the 56th minute on the counter-attack, when Jade Cross was played through, and slid the ball past the keeper into the bottom corner.

Wolves were now dominating, with the youngsters playing a key role.

Nikki Lal and Moran were both denied by the keeper before Ruby Meeson found Hewitt in the box, who had time to place the ball into the net for her second goal of the game and Wolves’ fourth.

Just four minutes later Hewitt completed her hat trick as her deflected shot looped over the keeper to make it 5-0.

Wolves immediately added their sixth goal as Lal ran into the box and converted past the keeper.

Wolves’ youngsters combined brilliantly in the 85th minute as Hargreaves found Moran to make it seven and round off an impressive performance.

Their win earns them a quarter final tie away at Bedworth United on Sunday 19th February.

Manager Tim Dudding said: "I was delighted with the young players who performed really well today, and all made an impact.

"I think it's really important to give them experience in this sort of environment, so that they can go out and show us what they can do.

“It can be intimidating to come into the senior side and go out and play the way they did - great credit to the squad, demonstrating the art of balancing both youth and experience.”

Next Sunday 29th January sees Wolves back in league action when they travel to The New Saints.

TEAM: Glenny, Hakeman, Anslow, E. Cross, Webb, Brackenbury, Hargreaves, Whetton, J. Cross, Hewitt, James. Rolling subs: Lal, McQuilkin, Moran, Meeson, Gardner.