Late comeback paves way for extra time victory

Wolves Ladies Make Cup Progress

Sporting Khalsa Women 2 (Bragan 81, Walker 89)

Wolves Women 4 (Widdal 44, Quick 90+4, McQuilkin 107, Brackenbury 123)

After extra time

Wolves Women beat Sporting Khalsa to advance to the First Round Proper of the Women’s FA Cup in a thrilling encounter at the Aspray Arena, which saw both sides ahead during the course of the game before Wolves finally took the spoils after extra time.


Wolves started the stronger of the two sides, with Andrea Whetton having the first chance in the 12th minute, but her shot was straight at Parkes in the Khalsa goal.


Jade Cross shot wide just three minutes later, and then came close again after Parkes’s poor clearance landed at her feet. She chipped the ball, but Parkes recovered well to save the shot.


Wolves continued to dominate, with chances for Natalie Widdal and twin strikers Emma and Jade Cross, but none of them were able to convert.


Finally their persistence paid off just a minute before the break, as Laura McQuilkin’s corner was flicked on by Amber Quick for Widdal to duly convert and put Wolves ahead.


Half time: Sporting Khalsa Women 0 Wolves Women 1


The second half saw a revitalised Sporting Khalsa side come out fighting. They put Wolves under pressure and had the majority of the ball, but were unable to convert their chances.


Wolves had a chance of their own in the 59th minute, but keeper Parkes managed to stop Jade Cross’s shot with her leg.


Wolves were now coming back into the ascendency, with Dom Luke playing her usual strong midfield role. Both Jade and Emma Cross came close again, but it was Khalsa who made the breakthrough to

equalise in the 81st minute after Jodie Bragan was given space 20 yards out and fired past Lucy Gardner in the Wolves goal to make it 1-1.


Khalsa could have gone ahead in the 86th minute, but Gardner made the save from Lauren Walker.


Then it was Wolves’ turn just a minute later as Nikki Lal’s shot thundered off the post.


With full-time approaching it was Khalsa who made the breakthrough in the 89th minute as Walker gave the home side the lead.


Wolves weren’t giving up, and piled on the pressure looking for an equaliser. They thought they had it when McQuilkin volleyed the ball into the net, but the goal was disallowed for a foul in the box.


Still unshaken, Wolves continued to press and their persistence finally paid off in the fourth minute of stoppage time after a goalmouth scramble saw the ball fall to McQuilkin. Her shot was cleared only as far as

Quick, who tapped home to make it 2-2 and take the game into extra time.


Full time: Sporting Khalsa Women 2 Wolves Women 2


With spirits high, Wolves had the best of the chances in extra time, and in the 107th minute Jade Cross unselfishly squared the ball to McQuilkin to put the visitors ahead for the second time in the game.


Wolves sealed the win just four minutes later as Victoria Brackenbury headed home from Jen Anslow’s corner to make it 4-2 and confirm their progression to the FA Cup First Round Proper.


Head Coach Tim Dudding said: “We showed incredible resilience today; from being 2-1 down on 91 minutes to going on to win the game.


“It wasn’t a performance to celebrate by any means, but at least we’re in the hat for the next round.”


*Next Sunday 20th November sees Wolves turn their attention to the Birmingham County Cup when they entertain Coundon Court Ladies at Hednesford Town FC with a 2pm kick-off. Admissions is £2;

concessions £1.


Wolves: Gardner, Hakeman (James), Widdal, Brackenbury, Anslow, Quick, Luke, McQuilkin (Johnson), E. Cross, J. Cross, Whetton (Lal). Subs: Perks, Johnson.