Report | Wolves 0-1 Bournemouth

Wolves 0 Bournemouth 1 (Semenyo 37)

Wolves were beaten by a first-half Antoine Semenyo strike as the Cherries, who finished with ten men at Molineux, punished an out of sorts performance from the hosts.

Jose Sa had kept his side in the contest throughout much of the first half with a series of fine saves, but there was nothing he could do when left exposed, as Semenyo fired home from close range.

Not for the first time this season, Wolves were left frustrated by VAR however, as Hee Chan Hwang’s thumping header was ruled out due to Matheus Cunha’s involvement in the build-up. Molineux was frustrated and Milos Kerkez’s late dismissal did little to lift the mood, as Gary O’Neil’s side were beaten under the lights.

Despite positive showings in recent weeks, Wolves were finding points hard to come by, but it was the Cherries who started on the front foot and Semenyo’s deflected drive required a fingertip save from Sa early on.

Wolves’ first glimpse of goal came through Pablo Sarabia, after Maximilian Kilman had won the ball high up the pitch, and the Spaniard’s curling effort needed palming behind by Mark Travers. From the resulting corner, Hwang got a header away, but Travers produced a more comfortable save on this occasion.

Bournemouth were comfortably the better team though and Sa was keeping the home side in it. First, he denied Kerkez, after he was left in space down the Wolves right. The stopper was then called into emergency soon after when Nelson Semedo’s bad touch sent Justin Kluivert clean through, but while his shot was low and firm, Sa stuck out a strong arm to keep his side level.

However, that Bournemouth pressure would eventually tell. Once the ball was worked down the left, the Old Gold were in trouble, as Kerkez got the wrong side of Semedo and Kilman stuck out a leg to block his cross, but invertedly set the ball nicely for Semenyo to slam underneath Sa from close range.

Half-time | Wolves 0-1 Bournemouth

The introduction of Matt Doherty made a difference at the break however, and while he couldn’t get a shot away following Hwang’s back heel, he headed a Mario Lemina cross narrowly over soon after. However, Sa wasn’t going to be in for a quiet second half and he reacted brilliantly to keep out Kluivert’s effort, after he’d directed a Kerkez shot goalwards.

The lively Semenyo then had a shot deflected just wide by Toti, before Marcos Senesi fired wide when well positioned from the resulting corner.

Wolves did momentarily find themselves level, with a goal against the run of play, but like so often this season, VAR intervened. The Old Gold kept the ball in a tight area and Doherty played in Semedo, who’s cross for Hwang was brilliant, as was the header by the South Korea, thumped past Travers. However, VAR had a look and decided Cunha had fouled his man. A clear and obvious error it appeared not, but Stuart Attwell overturned the decision, and Wolves were still behind.

With ten minutes remaining the Cherries were reduced to ten men, after Kerkez flew in recklessly on Doherty and the red card was brandished. The Old Gold couldn’t make that advantage count however, with Maximilian Kilman having an injury time strike ruled out for offside, as Bournemouth saw out the win. 

Full-time | Wolves 0-1 Bournemouth 

Wolves | Sa, Semedo, Kilman, S Bueno (Doherty 46), Toti (Fraser 90), Ait-Nouri, Doyle (Cunha 55), Gomes (Traore 64), Lemina, Sarabia (Chirewa 64), Hwang.

Unused subs | Bentley, H Bueno, Holman, Okoduwa.

Bournemouth | Travers, Kerkez, Cook, Solanke (Unal 87), Christie, Senesi (Hill 87), Scott (Kelly 81), Smith, Kluivert (Outarra 74), Semenyo, Zabarnyi.

Unused subs | Neto, Gonzalez, Billing, Aarons, Sadi.

Referee | Stuart Attwell