Report | Newcastle 1-1 Wolves

Newcastle (Lascelles 52) 1 Wolves 1 (Neves 73)

Ruben Neves’ expertly-taken header saw Wolves come from behind to earn a point at Newcastle United and extend their unbeaten run in the Premier League to five matches. After falling behind to Jamal Lascelles’ header, Wolves rallied and deserved their equaliser when Neves squeezed his effort in at the near post.

It could have been even better in the dying stages of the game, but Fabio Silva was denied at point-blank range by Martin Dubravka, however a point kept Wolves’ momentum going after, for the fifth game in succession, Nuno Espirito Santo’s side drew 1-1 with the Magpies.

The start of a week on the road, with three trips away from Molineux, Wolves had to do much of the early defending in the north east, but Isaac Hayden’s header, straight at Rui Patricio, was the closest the game came to an early goal. However, on 12 minutes came the first let off, as Miguel Almiron beat the offside trap, shaped himself, but watched his effort come back off the foot of the post.

A harmless Neves effort was the best Wolves could muster during that period, and the offside flag bailed them out on 24 minutes, as Allan Saint-Maximin hammered home, after Patricio had parried Joelinton’s effort, but the Frenchman had strayed beyond the last defender.

Then came Wolves’ first meaningful attempt, which followed patient build-up, as Neves crossed for Adama Traore, whose header was kept out by a combination of Dubravka and his post. Then, when the Spaniard had a chance to run at the Newcastle defence, he was able to tee up Pedro Neto, who swept his effort wide of the near post.

Wolves’ best period of the half came at the end of it, as a cleverly-worked free-kick saw Neto test Dubravka, before the wide pan put in a dangerous ball across the face of goal, but none of the three men in gold sliding in could convert, as the two sides went in level at the break.

Half-time | Newcastle 0-0 Wolves

After a fairly even opening period, it took the Magpies just seven minutes of the second to get their noses in front, as substitute Ryan Fraser’s fine crossed was met by a thumping header by Lascelles, which flew past Patricio.

However, that goal simply kicked Wolves into gear and began a spell of total dominance, which brought them back on level terms by the 73rd minute. A counter attack with pace saw Nelson Semedo feed Neto down the right and the Portuguese’s cross was met by his compatriot Neves, who’d timed his run to perfection, arched his back and squeezed his header in at the near post.

At that point, it was anybody’s game. For Newcastle Jacob Murphy made his way into the box and laid in Joelinton, and when the striker looked like he’d fired into the net, then appeared Romain Saiss, but brilliantly turned the ball over the crossbar. Then, for Wolves, in injury time Neto crossed for substitute Silva, whose header was turned onto the crossbar by Dubravka, and with that went the final chance.

Full-time | Newcastle 1-1 Wolves

Newcastle | Dubravka, Krafth (Ritchie 72), Clark, Lascelles, Lewis, Hayden, Shelvey, Almiron (Fraser 46), Willock, Saint-Maximin (Murphy 63), Joelinton.

Unused subs | Darlow, Dummett, Carroll, Gayle, Hendrick, Longstaff.

Wolves | Patricio, Semedo (Hoever 85), Dendoncker, Coady, Saiss, Jonny (Ait-Nouri 90), Neves, Moutinho, Traore, Neto, Jose (Silva 84).

Unused subs | Ruddy, Kilman, Otasowie, Gibbs-White, Vitinha.