Late Goals Condemn Wolves U23s To Defeat

Fulham emerge victorious at Telford

Wolves 1 (Collins 53)

Fulham 4 (Thorsteinsson 14, 83, 90+2, Adebayo 82)

After pulling back from one down at the interval, Wolves then conceded three more Fulham goals in the closing minutes and slipped to a second defeat at the Bucks Head in the space of eight days.

After a lively but chanceless opening to the game, Fulham threatened when striker Elijah Adebayo broke into the home area. But before he could get a shot away Cameron John, with a superb challenge, won possession and cleared.

But the respite for Wanderers proved to be brief as the Cottagers moved into a 14th minute lead. Jon Dagur Thorsteinsson cut into the box from the left and hit an angled drive that flew into the opposite corner of the net past the helpless Harry Burgoyne.

Thorsteinsson could have had a second following a Matt O’Riley corner but this time he ballooned a hooked effort high over the bar.

Crosses from Dan Armstrong and Aaron Collins ran tantalisingly through the Fulham box with no-one able to apply the finishing touch and when a half clearance fell to Collins on the edge of the area, he was just too high with a rasping shot.

Fulham keeper Luca Ashby-Hammond knocked away as snapshot from Armstrong and after Tayo Edun had been penalised for hands, Armstrong’s free-kick was pushed out by the keeper.

Collins returned the ball into the box and it fell to Donovan Wilson whose shot was blocked at close quarters by a defender at the expense of an unproductive corner.

As the half drew to a close, Ashby-Hammond smothered the ball after Christian Herc’s drive had struck a defender.

Half-Time: Wolves 0 Fulham 1

Five minutes into the new half Armstrong was wide with a near post header after a cross from Oscar Buur Rasmussen.

Wolves had made a bright start following the resumption and they were rewarded in the 53rd minute with a cracking goal from Collins who beat Ashby-Hammond from 22-yards with a dipping drive that clipped the underside of the bar on its way in.

Wolves made a change on the hour with Ming-Yang Yang replacing Elliot Watt.

Wilson, with a shot on the turn, forced a diving save from Ashby-Hammond who then wasn’t called into action after Armstrong ran into the box and curled his shot high and wide of the far post.

Hakeem Odoffin went into the book for pulling back Thorsteinsson before Fulham regained the lead in the 82 minute with Adebayo scoring with a bullet header after a cross from Rob Atkinson.

A minute later Thorsteinsson was there to fire into the roof of the net after Micael Elstone’s fierce drive had come back off the post.

In stoppage time Thorsteinsson rubbed salt in the wound as he broke clear and chipped the ball over Burgoyne to complete his hat-trick.

Wolves: Burgoyne, Rasmussen (Xavier 85), Breslin, Goncalves, Odoffin, John, Armstrong, Watt (Yang 59), Wilson, Herc, Collins.

Unused subs: Osbourne, Heredia, Finnie.

Booking: Odoffin (79 – foul).

Fulham: Hammond, Jenz, Atkinson, O’Riley, Davies, Djalo, De La Torre, Edun, Adebayo, Elstone, Thorsteinsson.

Unused subs: Wickens, Harris , Nabay, Pearce, Kwietniewski.

Referee: S. Chalkley.

Attendance: 154.