Youngsters Bounce Back In Style

Wolves 3 (Armstrong 45+3, Wilson 52, Seedorf 90+3)

Southampton 0

A thoroughly entertaining Under 23s clash with Southampton deservedly went the way of a Wolves side that pushed the bitter disappointment of the previous week’s beating at Blackburn firmly to the back of the mind.

In the opening exchanges, Will Randall sprinted into the Southampton box and when his shot was blocked the ball ran to Donovan Wilson but he too was denied when his effort struck a defender.

Then a dangerous cross from Tyreke Johnson was hooked clear by Anthony Breslin. The ball was played upfield and Aaron Collins rode two tackles in the centre-circle before sliding a pass to Donovan Wilson whose angled drive flew into the midriff of keeper Jack Rose.

In the tenth minute Harry Burgoyne parried a low shot from Jonathan Afolabi and Johnson, following up, could only find the side netting from what was a good position.

Ryan Rainey volleyed a cross into the box and Wilson, with a first time shot, hooked the ball narrowly over the bar.

Play was swinging from end to end and when Johnson drove a free-kick into the home area, Afolabi glanced a header inches wide.

There was a lengthy delay whilst Christian Herc received treatment after he took a knock in a goalmouth scramble, then Rainey went into the book for pulling back Johnson.

Collins used his strength to hold off a challenge as he ran towards the Saints goal and his low shot from 20-yards took a deflection and ran just the wrong side of the post.

Rose pulled off a stupendous save from Wilson whose hooked shot looked destined for the back of the net after Connor Johnson had nodded down Dan Armstrong’s cross.

In stoppage time, Tyreke Johnson got to the by-line and hit a short cross that was eventually cleared at the near post by his namesake Conner.

Wolves took the lead with virtually the last kick of the half. Wilson was fouled on the edge of the ‘D’ and Armstrong lifted the free-kick over the wall and into the top corner.

Half-Time: Wolves 1 Saints 0

The second-half opened with a booking for Ryan Leak, who had tripped Callum Slattery, and a first time effort from Herc that was way too high.

Wanderers went two up in the 52nd minute when Armstrong’s corner was headed towards goal by Johnson to the predatory Wilson who converted from six-yards out.

Armstrong was a whisker away from his second of the night with a low shot that took a deflection after Collins had back-heeled the ball into his path.

Breslin was yellow carded for a late challenge on Marcus Barnes before Afolabi missed a sitter for the Saints when he put the ball over from just eight-yards out.

But it should have been three in the 73rd minute after a fantastic ball over the top from Herc. Collins ran into the box but, off balance, he fired over the angle.

In little over a quarter of an hour, Southampton made three substitutions before Wolves sent on Sherwin Seedorf for Wilson.

Burgoyne, who had enjoyed a relatively quiet second-half, did well to block Will Wood’s header before Wolves made another change replacing Armstrong with Andrew Sealey-Harris who was on the field for just three minutes before he was tripped by Wood who was booked for his trouble.

Rainey, with mazy run, found himself with just Rose to beat but the defender failed to make proper contact and the ball trickled wide.

A third goal did arrive, however, deep into the six minutes of stoppage time with Seedorf finishing confidently with an angled drive into the corner.

Wolves: Burgoyne, Rainey, Breslin, Goncalves, Johnson (capt), Leak, Armstrong (Sealey-Harris 84), Herc, Collins, Wilson (Seedorf 78), Randall.

Unused subs: John, Finnie, Allen.

Bookings: Rainey (30 – foul), Leak (49 – foul), Breslin (56 – foul).

Saints: Rose, Bakary, Wood, Rowthorn (Smallbone 59), Cook, Jones (capt), Barnes, Little (O’Connor 76), Afolabi, Slattery, Johnson (Hale 71).

Unused subs: Klarer, Latham.

Booking: Wood (87 – foul).

Referee: Alan Young.

Attendance: 185