Report | Bournemouth 1-2 Wolves

Bournemouth 1 (Solanke 17) Wolves 2 (Cunha 47, Kalajdzic 88)

Wolves came from behind to give Gary O’Neil a winning return to the Vitality Stadium, as substitute Sasa Kalajdzic struck two minutes from time to sink 10-man Bournemouth.

The hosts led at the break after Dominic Solanke’s close-range finish, but Wolves were a different side after the interval and Matheus Cunha swept home his second goal of the season two minutes after the restart.

Lewis Cook was then dismissed following a clash with Hee Chan Hwang and Wolves dominated from that point, but had to be patient, waiting until the 88th minute to strike when Hee Chan Hwang set up Kalajdzic to roll home a big winner for O’Neil and his Wolves side.

The head coach was returning to Bournemouth for the first time since his summer departure and he almost had the start he was dreaming of last night. Pedro Neto was the danger, coming inside and curling a brilliant effort off the crossbar from the edge of the box, before Cunha’s follow up was kept out by Neto in the Bournemouth goal and Hwang headed the third attempt wide.

However, ten minutes later the Cherries were ahead. An overload down the Wolves left had Philip Billing in space, and after he picked up Alex Scott’s pass, the midfielder squared for Solanke to flick into the net from close range.

Wolves should have been level on the half hour mark when Neto, their main threat, charged forward and opted to pass to Cunha, rather than shoot, and the Brazilian’s pass was cleared for a corner before his teammates could connect. Matt Doherty headed Joao Gomes’ cross from the resulting corner wide.

The Irishman, starting for Wolves in the Premier League for the first time since 2020, then set up Neto to curl another effort over, while the solid Craig Dawson denied Solanke a second from close range with some experienced defending.

Half-time | Bournemouth 1-0 Wolves

The half-time introduction of Tommy Doyle helped turn the tide Wolves’ way and two minutes after coming on he broke the lines to find Neto, who carried the ball forward before feeding Cunha just inside the box, and the Brazilian swept home into the top corner first time to breathe new life into Wolves’ performance.

With the Old Gold already on top, Bournemouth handed their visitors further momentum on 54 minutes when Hwang tangled with Cook, who reacted with his head and received a straight red card for the altercation. Advantage Wolves.

O’Neil’s side were the dominant force from that point, but the task was to break down the Cherries. Doherty’s cross was headed wide by Cunha soon after the dismissal and the Brazilian then stung the palms of Neto in the home goal, before Hwang fired the rebound over.

The biggest chance yet came on 81 minutes when Rayan Ait-Nouri’s low cross found Neto in space around the penalty area, but the winger swept over the crossbar first time, with his face showing the opportunity he’d wasted.

However, luckily Wolves had another chance waiting for them. As Bournemouth attempted to play out from the back, Kalajdzic robbed Billing of possession and the chance was alive. Hwang clipped the striker through on goal and he was composed, remaining calm and side-footing home the winner two minutes before time. A big win on the road for the Old Gold.

Full-time | Bournemouth 1-2 Wolves

Bournemouth | Neto, Aarons, Kelly, Zabarnyi, Kerkez (Senesi 85), Cook, Tavernier (Outtara 75), Scott (Rothwell 57), Biling, Brooks (Christie 57), Solanke (Moore 85).

Unused subs | Radu, Smith, Kluivert, Semenyo.

Wolves | Sa, Doherty, Kilman, Dawson, Toti (Sarabia 75), Ait-Nouri, Gomes (Doyle 45), Traore, Neto, Hwang, Cunha (Kalajdzic 82).

Unused subs | Bentley, S Bueno, Jonny, Hodge, Silva, Fraser.