FA Cup journey over for Wolves Women

Wolves Women were knocked out of the SSE Women’s FA Cup after a second round 4-0 defeat to Blackburn Rovers Ladies at the CKW Stadium on Sunday.

Wolves Women 0

Blackburn Rovers Ladies 4 (Donoghue 35, Taylor 41, O.G. 44, Holbrook 74)

Report by Callum Doughty, photograph by Mark Birchill

Despite a battling performance from Wolves, first-half goals from Bethany Donoghue, Alex Taylor and an own goal, couple with a second-half strike courtesy of Jess Holbrook sent Blackburn through to the third round.

The hosts went the closest to opening the scoring through Jade Cross but were denied by a terrific save from Danielle Gibbons in the Blackburn goal. A cross from the right was met by Cross merely yards out from the goal but Gibbons reacted well to tip it behind.

Blackburn started to pile on the pressure and took the lead not long after the half-hour mark. Lagan Makin’s initial strike looped up over Katie Clarke in the Wolves goal, cannoned back off the crossbar but fell to the feet of Donoghue who was on hand to tap the ball in.

The visitors soon doubled their lead through Taylor. Makin was again involved as her cross found the head of Taylor and she headed home.

Just before the half-time break Blackburn’s lead was increased even further. Taylor’s ball over the top found Natasha Flint and she struck a volley off the post which was deemed to be turned in by Natalie Widdal. The ball was judged to have crossed the line despite the appeals of the Wolves defenders.

The second-half was evenly contested, and Wolves had chances to try and get themselves back in the game through Jade Cross and Lowri Walker, but both were unable to take their chances.

Blackburn then put the game beyond doubt as Holbrook’s strike from outside the area found the bottom corner of the goal, beyond Clarke.


The goal just before the stroke of half-time sealed the win for Blackburn. Going into the break two goals behind would have given Wolves a slight chance, but three made their task almost impossible.


Despite the result, manager Dan McNamara had praise for his players. He said: “It’s probably the proudest 4-0 defeat I’ve ever been involved in to be honest. I thought we were tremendous. Again, individual errors probably cost us two or three goals today, but I can’t question the girls – I thought they were absolutely outstanding.

“From the first minute to 37 minutes in I thought we were really frustrating them, sticking to the game plan, they were struggling to create chances, and then a little bit of quality which obviously they possess in abundance, and all of a sudden we find ourselves 3-0 down.

“But we’ve played the best team in the National League, and I think the girls can be really proud of that and look for a massive performance back in the league next Sunday to finish off the year.”


Wolves Women face another home tie at the CKW Stadium as they return to league action against Long Eaton United Ladies this Sunday 9th December with a 2pm kick-off.


  • 09/12- Long Eaton United Ladies (H)
  • 13/01- Steel City Wanderers FC Ladies (H)
  • 20/01- Solihull Moors Ladies (A)
  • 03/02- Birmingham & West Midlands Ladies (H)
  • 13/02- Sporting Khalsa Women (H)


Wolves | Clarke, Widdal (c), E.Cross, Morphett, Barnett, Dickinson (Criddle), Jones, Haynes (Anslow), Williams, Walker (Jennings), Cross.

Subs | Wilkie, George, Butler.

Blackburn Rovers Ladies | Gibbons, Jukes, McDonald, Clarkson (Kennerley), Shepherd (C), Fenton, Holbrook, Makin (Stuart), Taylor, Flint, Donoghue (Walsh).

Subs | Size, Jordan.