Victory in top of the table clash

Promotion hopes still alive after thrilling win

Wolves Women 3 (Perks 8, Bragan 36,52)

Loughborough Foxes 2 (Cooper 17, Eastham 77)


Wolves Women’s last home game of the season provided a thrilling 3-2 victory over league leaders Loughborough Foxes under floodlights at Keys Park.


Wolves started well and had the first chance of the game in the only the second minute after a cross found Amber Quick in the box, but her header went wide.


Loughborough then tested keeper Chloe Evans from a corner, but she cleared.


Wolves made their early pressure pay in the eighth minute as Captain Anna Perks headed home from a Jen Anslow corner to make it 1-0.


Quick came close again just 5 minutes later before Loughborough’s shot went wide after a deflection in the box.


With play going from end to end Loughborough got the equaliser in the 17th minute as Cooper slotted the ball past the oncoming Evans, colliding with her as the ball trickled into the net.


Wolves were pressing hard but a succession of corners came to nothing with Loughborough defending well.


Loughborough then had a couple of chances of their own, but their shots were wide of the target.


Wolves’ hard work paid off in the 36th minute as they regained their lead from a Jodie Bragan header, making it 2-1 at the break.


Wolves started the second half on the front foot and their first chance came just a minute in as Mai Butler’s long range shot was stopped by the keeper.


It didn’t take long though to score another as Bragan, pictured, headed in her second, and Wolves’ third, from a Laura McQuilkin corner.


Loughborough started to apply the pressure, and had a great chance in the 70th minute after a long range shot was saved by Evans and the resulting corner was cleared away.


Wolves were doing well, keeping most of the possession and looking to add another, but Loughborough were trying hard to get back into the game.


Their persistence paid off in the 77th minute as Eastham’s shot went over the top of Evans and into the net, making it 3-2 to set up a nervy finale.


Wolves had a penalty appeal waved away in the 85th minute before a shot from Jade Cross which was saved by the keeper.


With Loughborough pressing Wolves maintained their composure and stood firm to record an impressive victory in a thrilling game.


Manager Tim Dudding said: "It was a game we looked like winning from start to finish. We played some really impressive football and commanded the game, relying on our strength and depth when required.


"All credit goes to the girls who executed a specific game plan against a hard working Foxes side.


"We now aim to do what we can in taking maximum points from our remaining four games away from home which will be a tough task, but with the fantastic support we have we know that maximum points is possible."


With only one team securing promotion, the Foxes still have the upper hand. If both teams win all their remaining games Wolves would still be one point behind, so must rely on a slip up from their rivals.


‪This Sunday 30th April‪ sees Wolves travel to 6th placed Radcliffe Olympic.



Team: Evans, McQuilkin, Anslow, Perks,Brackenbury, (Widdal), E.Cross, Bragan, Butler, J.Cross, Quick, Whetton (Moran) Subs: Richards, Webb, Hakeman, Hewitt.