Women Exit Cup In Nine-Goal Thriller

by Peter Westwood

Brighouse Town Ladies 6 (Redgrave 3, Brown 12, 60; Doyle 57; Beresford 80, 89)

Wolves Women 3   (Criddle 2, 11, 50)

Wolves Women were knocked out of the Women’s FA Cup in a nine goal thriller which saw them fall to a 6-3 defeat at the hands of Brighouse Town Ladies, despite leading three times in the game at the Dual Seal Stadium.

Wolves got off to a great start, going ahead in the second minute after Jade Cross found Charlotte Criddle outside the box and her first time shot looped over the keeper.

Brighouse responded straight away with an equaliser after the ball was played in to Jodie Redgrave whose shot went past Issy Foster in the Wolves goal.

Wolves quickly regained their composure and went ahead again in the 11th minute after a long range shot from Criddle beat the keeper for her second goal of the game.

Again, Brighouse were quick to reply, and just a minute later the ball was played in to Danni Brown just inside the box and her shot went into the bottom corner to make it 2-2.

The game was end to end with Brighouse hitting the crossbar before an excellent chance for Wolves saw Jade Cross denied by a great save from the Brighouse keeper, and the first half finished all square.

Wolves started the second half well and retook the lead in the 50th minute after Criddle turned the defender outside the box and despatched a curling shot to complete her hat trick.

Brighouse fought back again and equalised in the 57th minute after a free kick was cleared away, only for the resulting shot to deflect into the path of Doyle who hit it past Foster.

Just three minutes later Brighouse were ahead for the first time in the game after some good passing play found Brown, who struck the ball into an empty net for her second goal of the game, making it 4-3.

Brighouse were awarded a penalty in the 65th minute, but Redgrave’s shot went over the bar.

Foster was able to keep Brighouse at bay with a host of good saves, but they were awarded another penalty in the 80th minute, and this time made no mistake as Aimi Beresford converted.

She got her second goal in the 89th minute with a powerful shot which went under the keeper as the game ended 6-3.

Caretaker Manager Steve Cullis said: “It was a difficult game but I am proud of the players and the way they continued to battle right to the 90th minute.

“We pride ourselves in having young talent, especially from the Regional Talent Centre, so it’s good to give those players minutes and exposure to female football in tough conditions.

“We’re going to keep doing the right things for our club, and will do our best until the end of the season.”

There is now a Christmas break for the women’s teams, with Wolves’ next game on Sunday 14th January when they entertain Sutton Coldfield Town Ladies in the Birmingham County Cup. The game will be played at Hednesford Town FC with a 2pm kick-off. Admission £2; concessions and Wolves season ticket holders £1.

Team: Foster, Butler, Whetton, Price (C), E.Cross, Widdal, McQuilkin (Lal), Bavington (Williams), J.Cross, Bragan, Criddle (Hewitt).

PICTURE: Simon Faulkner