Report | Leicester 1-0 Wolves

Leicester 1 (Vardy 15 PEN) Wolves 0

Jamie Vardy’s early penalty ended Wolves’ four-match unbeaten run, and although Rui Patricio’s save from the forward’s second spot-kick kept the contest alive until the end, Wolves couldn’t find a way past Kasper Schmeichel and the resilient defence in front of him.

The decisive goal came after Maximilian Kilman was harshly penalised for handball and Vardy sent Patricio the wrong way from 12 yards. The second decision Wolves could have no complaints about, as Rayan Ait-Nouri chopped down James Justin, but on that occasion, Patricio produced a big save.

The closest Wolves came to an equaliser thereafter was through a whipped Ruben Neves effort, which was brilliantly kept out by Schmeichel. The goalkeeper had earlier denied Pedro Neto too, leaving Wolves goalless for the first time in five matches.

Both teams went into the contest in strong form beforehand and there’d been little to choose between the two before Wolves were dealt an unfortunate blow, following a harsh handball decision. Dennis Praet’s cross struck the hand of Kilman, positioned in close distance, and following a check on the monitor, Anthony Taylor decided a penalty was the outcome and Vardy sent Patricio the wrong way.

Although the penalty decision felt harsh, the Foxes were the better side either side of the goal and looked to extend their lead when Christian Fuchs let fly with a low drive which flew past Patricio’s left-hand post.

City were in danger of racing away from Wolves, so when Ait-Nouri’s ill-timed challenge chopped Justin down in the box, the hosts had the perfect opportunity for a second, but Vardy couldn’t recreate his success from 12 yard, this time firing more centrally and being thwarted by Patricio, before watching the ricochet come off him and drop wide.

That save late in the half spark fresh energy into Wolves, who finished strongly, providing hope for the second 45 minutes ahead.

Half-time: Leicester 1 Wolves 0

Within minutes of the second period, both sides had hit efforts off target – Youri Tielemans glancing wide for the hosts and Nelson Semedo lashing well over the bar for the visitors.

However, it was Wolves asking the bigger questions, with Daniel Podence denied at close range and Neto testing Schmeichel with a powerful effort. As for City, both James Maddison and Jonny Evans threatened, but Patricio wasn’t called into action on either occasion.

Then came the time for Adama Traore, who replaced Podence for the final half hour, before Marcal followed soon after for Ait-Nouri, as Wolves continued to press down on the gas.

As the game progressed, the Foxes started to cling on. First, Semedo laid off for Neves, who whipped a fine effort towards the top corner, but was denied by a flying, one-handed save by Schmeichel. Then, once the corner was cleared, the midfielder returned with interest and Leander Dendoncker side-footed wide.

However, the hosts remained a threat as Wolves threw bodies forward, and should have settled the contest when Harvey Barnes had a sight of goal, but Kilman bravely jumped in to block. Then, when Marcal’s cross drifted into the arms of Schmeichel with the last kick, Wolves knew the game was up.

Full-time: Leicester 1 Wolves 0

Leicester: Schmeichel, Justin, Evans, Fofana, Fuchs, Thomas (Albrighton 46), Mendy, Tielemans, Praet (Morgan 80), Maddison (Barnes 71), Vardy.

Unused subs: Ward, Choudhury, Under, Iheanacho.

Wolves: Patricio, Semedo, Boly, Coady, Kilman, Ait-Nouri (Marcal 76), Neves, Dendoncker, Neto (Silva 79), Podence (Traore 60), Jimenez.

Unused subs: Ruddy, Saiss, Otasowie, Moutinho.