Wolves 0-2 Arsenal | Match report

Wolves 0 Arsenal 2 (Saka 43, Lacazette 86)

Wolves’ 100 per cent record following the Premier League restart came to an end at home to European football-chasing rivals Arsenal.

A goal in either half from Bukayo Sako - the first Wolves had conceded in more than 400 minutes of football - and Alexandre Lacazette was enough for the Gunners to take the victory at Molineux and consign Nuno Espirito Santo’s men to their first defeat in nine top-flight matches.

Making one change to the line-up from the side that started last weekend’s 1-0 victory over Aston Villa, Adama Traore was instilled into the Wolves 11 at the expense of Diogo Jota, and it was the Spaniard who had an early first chance for the hosts.

With just seconds on the clock, Traore found himself played through the Gunners’ defence, racing one-on-one with former on-loan Wolves stopper Emiliano Martinez, but the keeper raced off his line quickly to close down Traore before deflecting a shot away from danger.

Traore was involved once again ten minutes later when he broke clear in midfield, used his tricky feet to skip past a couple of red and white shirts before shaping onto his left foot for a shot, but from the edge of the box he couldn’t keep his effort from flying into the North Bank.

Arsenal’s first opportunity of the game fell to the in-form Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang who was able to take a shot from inside the Wolves box after a corner dropped loose, but the Gabon forward was stretching, allowing Rui Patricio to get down well to make a comfortable save.

A quick break from the hosts saw Traore played into space down the right, and after taking a few stepovers to allow his teammates to make up ground in the centre, he managed to get a cross onto the head of Leander Dendoncker, but the Belgian was unable to get a telling touch. Moments later, Jonny found space on the left of the box, but ended up dragging his shot wide.

A combination of Patricio and the post came to Wolves’ rescue with just over half-an-hour of the game gone, as Eddie Nketiah was able to wriggle free on the right before lashing a shot goalbound. However, the Wolves keeper was able to deflect the effort onto the upright and out of danger.

Wolves had a chance to open the scoring just before the half-time break after Traore was brought down just outside the box after a jinking run. With Ruben Neves laying the ball off to Romain Saiss, the Moroccan’s effort deflected off the wall and could be gathered by Martinez.

But it was Arsenal who would take the lead just seconds later. Aubameyang fed the ball out wide to Kieran Tierney on the left, whose cross into the box fell kindly for Saka in and the 18-year-old lashed a left-footed effort past the outstretched arms of Patricio and into the back of the net.

Half-time: Wolves 0 Arsenal 1

Just seconds into the second-half and the game underwent a lengthy stoppage as Saiss took a knock to the face from Saka when the pair jumped for the ball, but after a break in play, the defender was able to get to his feet and carry on.

Wolves were calling for a penalty five minutes later as Raul Jimenez felt he was pushed in the back as he tried to divert his header from a Traore cross to the far post goalwards, but referee Michael Oliver was not to be swayed, pointing for a goal-kick.

The hosts continued to put pressure on the Arsenal backline and were firing cross after cross into the visitor’s box, with Matt Doherty’s low driven attempt having to be cleared by Shkodran Mustafi for a corner, which came to nothing.

David Luiz had to be at his best to stop a quick Wolves counter as substitute Jota linked up well with Jimenez before unleashing a stinging effort towards goal which was cut out by the Arsenal defender.

Another quick break just moments later saw the pair play Traore in on the right, but he was unable to keep his lobbed effort over the onrushing Martinez on target.

Despite Wolves’ increased second-half pressure, Arsenal continued to create chances of their own, with Nketiah having an opportunity to double his side’s advantage but was unable to direct a header from the centre of the box on target.

And the visitors put the game beyond doubt with five minutes remaining when Lacazette, who had only come on the pitch minutes earlier for Nketiah, found space on the right before firing low and hard into the bottom right corner of Patricio’s goal.

Arsenal could have put the game out of sight had it not been for a goalline clearance by Neves, who was able to get back behind his goalkeeper and stop Joe Willock’s effort from making it 3-0 after the youngster’s shot had beaten Patricio.

Full-time: Wolves 0 Arsenal 2

Wolves: Patricio, Doherty (Neto 72), Boly, Coady, Saiss, Jonny, Neves, Moutinho (Gibbs-White 89), Dendoncker (Jota 55), Traore, Jimenez.

Unused subs: Ruddy, Kilman, Buur, Vinagre, Jordao, Campana.

Arsenal: Martinez, Mustafi, Luiz, Kolasinac, Soares (Bellerin 76), Ceballos (Torreira 83), Xhaka, Tierney (Maitland-Niles 56), Aubameyang, Nketiah (Lacazette 83), Saka (Willock 75).

Unused subs: Macey, Holding, Sokratis, Nelson.

Referee: Michael Oliver