Shrewsbury 2-2 Wolves | Match report

Shrewsbury 2 (Docherty 47, Waterfall 71) Wolves 2 (Jimenez 75, Doherty 90)

Wolves had to fight their way back from two goals down to earn a replay with Shrewsbury Town during a scrappy FA Cup fourth round tie at Montgomery Waters Meadow.

After the home side went two goals ahead through Greg Docherty and Luke Waterfall, Wolves fought their way back through substitute Raul Jimenez and Matt Doherty, but a replay at Molineux is nothing less than Nuno Espirito Santo's side deserved after dominating for much of the match.

Wolves had the first real chance of the afternoon after just four minutes when Doherty, using his pace down the right, was able to cut inside and launch an attack into the box. But with Helder Costa marked tightly in the area, Doherty had to go alone but could only fire his left-footed shot over the bar.

The visitors were keeping the pressure on and were appealing for a penalty. Ruben Neves won the ball in midfield and found Adama Traore whose through ball played in Costa into the box, but his touch was heavy and, although he appealed for a foul, the ball trickled out for a goal kick and the referee waved away Costa’s call.

Wolves had another excellent chance a few minutes later when Traore made a great run down the right. His cross reached Ryan Giles, who laid it off for Gibbs-White in the box, but his shot on the turn sailed over.

Traore was the next player to fire over for Wolves. Doherty did well to dance past a couple of Shrewsbury players and into the box only to squares it for the pacey forward, who couldn’t keep his shot down from 12 yards out.

Throughout the first half, Shrewsbury tried to catch Wolves out on the counter-attack, and almost had the opening goal with just five minutes to go.

Josh Laurent was putting the visiting defence under a lot of pressure and managed to get the ball off Bennett. He played a pass to Docherty who let fly from 25-yards, but Ruddy was able to reposition himself to palm the ball away from goal, before Giles cleared the ball to safety.

Half-time: Shrewsbury 0 Wolves 0

Straight after half-time Wolves found themselves falling behind. Following good play in the centre of the pitch by Okenabirhie, who drove forwards, taking on Wolves players left and right. He passed a cute pass out to Docherty on the right who cut inside and fired an unstoppable shot past Ruddy into the top corner.

Wolves were denied a glaring opportunity to bring themselves level when Costa headed over from six yards out. Doherty played a one-two with Dendoncker who put a nice cross into the box and, unmarked, Costa was there to meet the ball, but Steve Arnold made a terrific point-blank save to keep the ball from crossing the line.

Jimenez could have brought Wolves level with his first touch after coming on as a substitute when he got a toe on the end of a Giles cross inside the box, but he couldn’t guide his effort on target.

But it was Shrewsbury who got second goal of the game when Waterfall got on the end of a corner and powered his header past Ruddy from a matter of yards.

Just four minutes later, Wolves got themselves back in the game. Jimenez, who was already terrorising the Shrewsbury defence after coming on, pulled a goal back for the home side when, following good work from Ivan Cavaleiro who lost his man and crossed from the right, the Mexican was able to get his shot away inside the area, which flew past Arnold.

Wolves continued to push and were maintaining possession for final 10 minutes of the match. Their persistence paid off with three minutes of injury time played, and Wolves got the equaliser the visiting supporters were craving when Doherty got on the end of a Traore cross and gave Arnold no chance in saving his powerful header, sending the fans behind the goal into raptures.

Full-time: Shrewsbury 2 Wolves 2

Shrewsbury: Arnold, Haynes, Sadler, Beckles, Docherty (Holloway 90), Okenabirhie (Whalley 81), Bolton, Waterfall, Laurent, Norburn (Vincelot 87), Grant.

Unused subs: Charles-Cook, Angol, Eisa, Sears.

Wolves: Ruddy, Doherty, Bennett, Coady, Saiss, Giles (Cavaleiro 72), Dendoncker (Jimenez 59), Neves, Gibbs-White (Moutinho 79), Costa, Traore.

Unused subs: Norris, Vinagre, Jonny, Kilman.

Referee: Roger East

Attendance: 9.503