Wolves Beaten At Villa

Aston Villa 4 (Adomah 8', Chester 57', Grabban 62', Bjarnason 85') Wolves 1 (Jota 20')

Wolves crashed to their heaviest defeat of the season as they were comprehensively beaten 4-1 by Aston Villa at Villa Park in the Sky Bet Championship.

It was the hosts who opened the scoring as Albert Adomah hooked a Robert Snodgrass corner beyond John Ruddy in the seventh minute.

The visiting side responded well however, and Diogo Jota equalised midway through the first half.

After a competitive first half, it was the home side who took the initiative as goals from James Chester, Lewis Grabban and Birkir Bjarnason sealed the win for the home side.

After the opening stages could only be described as cagey, it was Villa who struck the first blow. Snodgrass’ corner was met at the back post by James Chester. The ball bounced in front of Ruddy’s goal and there was Albert Odomah to draw first blood.

Wolves looked to hit back instantly. Leo Bonatini threaded the ball to Diogo Jota inside the Villa penalty area, he then cut back before chipping the ball to the back post to pick out Matt Doherty. The Wolves’ wingback beat Sam Johnstone, in the Villa goal, with his effort but John Terry was on hand to clear it from danger.

It was in the 20th minute that Wolves were back level. Matt Doherty produced a superb piece of skill to nutmeg Neil Taylor down the Wolves right. He then split the Villa back four with an incisive pass which looked to be running into the arms of Sam Johnstone but a touch from James Chester forced the Villa ‘keeper to make a reflex save. And there was Diogo Jota to bundle the ball home at the second attempt to send the Wolves fans into raptures.

Villa saw sight of goal through Lewis Grabban at the game approached half time as he twisted and turned in the Wolves box. He looked to fire the ball towards John Ruddy’s near post but his effort hit the side netting.

Wolves also had a chance of their own before the half time whistle was blown. Barry Douglas whipped a menacing free kick towards the back post. After taking a slight deflection, Danny Batth was at the back post but the contesting Villa defender did enough and the ball ran behind for a goal kick.

Half-Time: Aston Villa 1 Wolves 1

Wolves were almost forced to pay for an error early in the second half. Willy Boly looked to dribble his way out of trouble and had his pocket picked by Lewis Grabban. The Villa forward then carried the ball into the Wolves penalty area before letting fly with a shot. Conor Coady was alert to the danger as his block averted any danger.

Villa made Wolves pay for their slow start to second half in the 57th minute. When the home side won a free kick 25 yards from goal, Robert Snodgrass picked out James Chester who finished first time beyond John Ruddy.

It was 3-1 just minutes later. Jack Grealish released Albert Adomah down the Villa left, who took the ball to the byline before crossing to Lewis Grabban who got in front of Willy Boly to prod home from three yards out.

Wolves had a free kick from 25 yards out with 20 minutes remaining which Barry Douglas saw his effort deflected wide of Johnstone's goal. While Ruben Neves also saw a free kick of his deflected, his into the hands of Sam Johnstone.

When the substitute, Birkir Bjarnason, danced through the Wolves defence with five minutes remaining and poked the ball beyond John Ruddy, it was all over.

Full-Time: Aston Villa 4 Wolves 1

Villa: Johnstone, Taylor, Chester, Snodgrass, Grealish, Hourihane (Lansbury 81'), Jedinak, Terry ©, Elmohamady, Adomah (Bjarnason 75'), Grabban (Hogan 86').

Unused Subs: Bunn, Bree, Onomah, Davis.

Booked: Adomah - Foul; 44’, Hourihane - Foul; 79', Grealish - Foul; 83'.

Wolves: Ruddy, Doherty, Douglas, Batth © (Saiss 68'), Cavaleiro (Afobe 68'), Neves, Boly, Coady, Jota (Costa 76'), N’Diaye, Bonatini.

Unused Subs: Norris, Bennett, Gibbs-White, Miranda.

Booked: Batth - Foul; 37’, Jota - Foul; 39’, N'Diaye - Foul; 55', Coady - Foul; 72', Costa - Foul; 80'.

Referee: David Coote

Attendance: 37,836