MATCH REPORT Burnley v Wolves

Dan's The Man

Burnley 1 (Vokes 68)


Wolves 1 (Batth 90+2)


It took a late, late goal from skipper Danny Batth to rescue a point for Wolves but it was the least that the visitors deserved against the table toppers who played second fiddle to Wanderers for much of the game.


There were two changes to the Wolves starting line-up with Jed Wallace, back from his loan with Millwall, and Michal Zyro coming in for Bjorn Sigurdarson and Nathan Byrne both whom dropped down to the bench.


Included in the Burnley side were former Molineux men, Stephen Ward, David Jones and Sam Vokes whilst Michael Kightly was one of the Clarets’ substitutes.


Wolves kicked-off defending the Fishwick Stand of the ground that housed around a thousand travelling supporters.


There was an early chance for Burnley when Joey Barton dispossessed George Saville and fed a through ball to Andre Gray. Fortunately for the visitors, Gray failed to control and the ball ran out of play.


In the sixth minute Gary had another opportunity when Vokes broke into the right of the box - his driven cross flew through the six-yard box just eluding the outstretched foot of his fellow striker.


An inswinging corner from Jones glanced of the angle of post and bar on the far side of Carl Ikeme’s goal as the home side continued to dominate the attacking play in the opening stages.


Ikeme then had to race from his line to save at Scott Arfield’s feet before Jeremy Helan won a corner off George Boyd. But Wallace’s kick was too high and the ball drifted out on the far side.


A second Wallace corner was headed out before Ikeme punched clear a Barton free-kick after Batth had fouled Boyd a couple of yards outside the Wolves box.


Vokes swung a foot and lifted the ball high over the bar when he connected with Matthew Lowton’s low centre and then Ward was booked for a heavy tackle on Wallace to the right of the home box. Helan’s free-kick was headed clear.


After weathering the Burnley storm Wolves had started to make their presence felt and they almost moved ahead in the 41st minute.


Keeper Tom Heaton’s fluffed clearance dropped at Zyro’s feet and he quickly found Saville who cracked a shot that struck the body of Ben Mee stationed in front of the goal.


Half-Time: Burnley 0 Wolves 0


Batth and Kortney Hause were there to stop some home threats shortly after the restart, and Dominic Iorfa headed clear a dangerous cross from Vokes.


A 56th minute corner from Wallace led to chances for the visitors. The ball was headed out to Matt Doherty whose 20-yard drive was blocked. Still the home team couldn’t clear their lines and Wallace tried his luck with a low effort that took a deflection forcing Heaton into a diving save.


On the hour mark Wolves were denied by the woodwork. Saville laid the ball into the path of Jack Price and from fully 30-yards out he struck a terrific shot that smacked against the base of the post with Heaton beaten. The loose ball found its way to Helan who saw his low drive saved by the keeper.


Gray’s foul on Doherty 25-yards out then gave Price a free-kick opportunity. The midfielder cracked the ball into the defensive wall and immediately made fruitless appeals for a penalty for hands.


Saville was booked for a foul on Barton and from Jones’s free-kick Doherty was forced to hack the ball behind from just in front of the near post.


Helan teed the ball up for Saville who forced a save from Heaton before, against the run of play, Burnley took a 68th minute lead with Vokes powerfully heading home Barton’s cross from the right.


Kenny Jackett made a double change sending on Joe Mason and Sigurdarson for Zyro and Helan. Mee became the second Burnley man to go into the book – this for dragging back Iorfa.


Saville was well wide with a low shot after Wallace had pulled the ball back into his path. Then Wallace, who had impressed on his comeback, limped off to be replaced by Byrne.


And it was Byrne’s perfectly flighted corner, in the second minute of stoppage time that led to the Wolves equaliser that was so thoroughly deserved as Batth charged in to head past Heaton in front of the delighted fans behind the goal.


Burnley: Heaton (capt), Lowton, Mee, Keane, Ward, Boyd, Barton, Jones, Arfield, Vokes, Gray (Hennings 81).


Unused subs: Robinson, Kightly, Marney, Taylor, Darikwa, Tarkowski.


Bookings: Ward (31 – foul), Mee (73 – foul).


Wolves: Ikeme, Doherty, Iorfa, Price, Batth (capt), Hause, Wallace (Byrne 80), Coady, Zyro (Mason 72), Saville, Helan (Sigurdarson 72).


Unused subs: Martinez, McDonald, Deslandes, Le Fondre.


Booking: Saville (63 – foul).


Referee: F. Graham.


Attendance: 17,411 (1,091 away supporters).


Tottenham Hotspur Under 18s 7 Wolves 3 (Allen 2, Carnat).