Match Report Wolves v Leeds United

Second Half Goal Sinks Wolves

Wolves 0


Leeds United 1 (Silvio-og 70)


Despite creating several good chances, Wolves were unable to snap out of their winless run as they fell to a single goal defeat against Leeds United at Molineux


Walter Zenga made three changes to the team that had started against Brighton in mid-week. Dominic Iorfa, Conor Coady and Prince Oniangue dropped out with Silvio, Jon Dadi Bodvarsson and Joao Teixeria taking their places.


Leeds kicked-off attacking the South Bank end but the opening minutes contained little in the way of goalmouth action.


In the ninth minute Helder Costa’s challenge on Kemar Roofe resulted in a Leeds free-kick to the left of the home area but Kalvin Phillips’ curled the ball wide of the far post when he lifted the ball across.


There was a moment of danger when Hadi Sacko cut inside Matt Doherty but his shot from the edge of the area was way off target.


Phillips was penalised for a challenge on Romain Saiss on the right. Costa’s free-kick found its way to Nouha Dicko who was block tackled by a defender as he attempted a shot at goal.


When Bodvarsson flicked a through ball from Dicko into Teixeria’s path, the Portuguese midfielder had a sight of goal but he fired high and wide.


Teixeria then showed some excellent ball control as he advanced on the Leeds area but his final shot was deflected away.



Costa was just too high with a first time effort after the lively Teixeria had created the opening, before Doherty became the first man to be booked in the game for a challenge on Sacko.


Costa overhit a cross from the left after he had been played in by Teixeria and Sacko was inches away from giving Leeds the lead with a rising drive that clipped the top of the bar in the 38th minute.


Seconds later, at the other end, after a brief scramble in the Leeds box, Teixeria hooked a shot towards goal only for former England keeper Robert Green to spread himself and block.


Roofe was a foot wide of the far post with a glancing header, and Pontus Jansson just beat Costa to Teixeria’s centre as the half drew to a close.


Deep into stoppage time Dave Edwards was booked for a tackle in Sacko.


Half-Time: Wolves 0 Leeds 1


The new half started with two Costa corners that were cleared as was a Roofe free-kick taken from near the right-hand corner flag.


Wood’s penalty appeal after he had tangled with Danny Batth were rightly ignored by the referee, before Ivan Cavalerio was sent on in place of Dicko.


On 64 minutes Costa almost did the trick with a first time effort from all of 25-yards that skimmed the roof of the net as it flew over.


Ikeme was then called into action as he palmed away an angled drive from Chris Wood.


But the keeper was beaten in the 70th minute. Doherty lost possession as he tried to shepherd the ball out of play allowing Sacko to hit a low cross that Silvio, under pressure from Roofe, turned over the line from inside the six-yard box.


Two more home substitutions followed with Coady and Ola John taking the places of Doherty and Teixeria respectively.


Charlie Taylor went into the book for handling to halt a Wolves attack, and Wood volleyed narrowly off target after being set up by Roofe.


As the game drifted into the four minutes of added time, John’s cross fell invitingly in front of Costa at the back stick but, to the dismay of the crowd, he shot over the bar.


Wolves: Ikeme, Doherty (Coady 76), Silvio, Edwards, Batth (capt), Hause, Costa, Dicko (Cavaleiro 62), Bodvarsson, Teixeria (John 76), Saiss.


Unused subs: Lonergan, Stearman, Oniangue, Gladon.


Bookings: Doherty (34 – foul), Edwards (45+5 – foul).


Leeds: Green, Wood (Doukara 90+1), Roofe, Vieira (Mowatt 85), Ayling, Jansson, Sacko (Cooper 88), Taylor, Phillips, Bartley (capt), O’Kane.


Unused subs: Antonsson, Silvestre, Grimes, Coyle.


Bookings: Taylor (78 – deliberate hand ball), Mowatt (90+5 – foul).


Referee: S. Attwell.


Attendance: 23,607.


Blackburn Rovers Academy Under 23s 4 Wolves 0