Skip to main content


18:28 11th March 2017

A Welcome Win

Wolves 1 (Weimann 45+1)

Rotherham United 0 

Wolves finally got back into winning ways but they were made to fight all the way by bottom of the table Rotherham with Andi Weimann’s strike in first-half stoppage time the only goal of the game.

There were three changes from the Wolves team that drew at Ipswich in midweek. Conor Coady, Helder Costa and Mike Williamson came in with Matt Doherty, Jon Dadi Bodvarsson and Danny Batth all dropping down to the bench.

Wolves kicked off attacking the North Bank end and after two minutes Richie Smallwood’s foul on Costa wide on the right led to a Ben Marshall free-kick. When he fired the ball into the box Kortney Hause got in a firm header that was deflected over. 

Jack Price’s corner fell in the six-yard box and after a brief scramble keeper Lewis Price managed to grab possession.

Another free-kick from Marshall, this time after handling by Lee Frecklington, saw Romain Saiss heading well wide of the target.

A loose pass from Saiss almost presented Rotherham with the opening goal. Tom Adeyemi took full advantage and pushed the ball into the path of Danny Ward but Carl Ikeme was quickly off is line to save the striker’s low shot. 

Coady fouled Joe Mattock to the left of the home area and Frecklington’s free-kick was helped on by Adeyemi to Ward who was wide with his shot.

The home defence were caught out again by another Adeyemi through ball which left Ward with a clear run at goal but Ikeme again saved the day with another fine one on one save.

Wolves were awarded a penalty in the 34th minute when Mattock clipped Costa just inside the Millers box near the by-line. Costa got up to take the kick himself but Price guessed correctly diving to his left to beat the ball away.

The goal the home supporters had been longing for arrived in first half stoppage time when Weimann took a pass from Marshall and sidestepped Semi Ajayi and the keeper (pictured) before rolling the ball into the empty net.

Seconds after the game restarted, Weimann clattered into Will Vaulks and was shown the yellow cards with the Rotherham players surrounding the referee and seemingly demanding a more severe punishment.

Half-Time: Wolves 1 Rotherham 0

Three minutes into the new half Lewis Price smothered a Costa shot after Weimann got the ball through to his team-mate in a crowded penalty box as Wanderers looked to stretch their advantage.

Twelve minutes into the half, the visitors made a double switch with Jerry Yates and Jon Taylor talking over from Smallwood and Joe Newell respectively.

Marshall and George Saville combined well for the latter to get in a cross that ran through to Coady on the far side. He, in turn, laid the ball back for Costa to curl in a cross that was glanced towards goal by the head of Dave Edwards with keeper Price saving on the line.

At the other end Yates was too high with a back header just before Bodvarsson replaced Costa midway through the half.

Within seconds of his introduction Bodvarsson went on one of his surging runs before firing inches over the near angle from just inside the box.

A Frecklington shot was deflected behind for a corner that he took himself and when the ball dropped to Taylor he drove wide of the far post.

More substitutions followed with Jack Price making way for Morgan Gibbs-White and Ivan Cavaleiro for Marshall whilst, for Rotherham, Alex Bray replaced former Wolf Anthony Forde.

Mattock was booked for an untidy challenge on Gibbs-White before the game drifted into four minutes of added time. 

Just before the end, Ajayi suddenly found himself with the ball at his feet directly in front of Ikeme’s goal. But, to the relief of the vast majority of the crowd, the defender lifted the ball over the bar and into the North Bank.

Wolves: Ikeme, Coady, Saville, Edwards (capt), Williamson, Hause, Costa (Bodvarsson 66), J. Price (Gibbs-White 82), Weimann, Saiss, Marsahall (Cavaleiro 85).

Unused subs: Lonergan, Doherty, Batth, Dicko.

Booking; Weimann (45+2 – foul).

Millers: L. Price, Mattocks, Vaulks, Forde (Bray 83), Frecklington (capt), Ward, Ajayi, Newell (Taylor 57), Adeyemi, Belaid, Smallwood (Yates 57).

Unused subs: Warren, Dawson, Purrington, Bilboe.

Booking: Mattocks (88 – foul).

Referee: J. Simpson.

Attendance: 20,077.

Wolves Academy Under 18s 2 (Allan 2) West Bromwich Albion 0


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.