Skip to main content


01:14 1st February 2017

REPORT | A Solid Performance

Barnsley 1 (Roberts 80)

Wolves 3 (Hause 5, Edwards 36, 77)

There was no case of ‘after the Lord Mayor’s Show’ for Wolves as they followed up their Merseyside heroics with a solid performance and deserved victory at Barnsley.

Paul Lambert made six changes to the side that grabbed the weekend’s headlines at Anfield with new record signing Helder Costa on the bench along with goalscorers Richard Stearman and Andreas Weimann.

It was damp and dismal at Oakwell as Wolves kicked-off defending the end of the ground that housed 800 of their supporters.

Former Molineux winger Adam Hammill got in the first shot of the contest – a long distance effort that was well wide.

Wolves took the lead in the fifth minute after Joe Mason had been fouled to the right of the home area. Connor Ronan’s free-kick was headed behind and, when the youngster took the corner, Dave Edwards got in a glancing header towards goal and Kortney Hause converted from close range.

Another Ronan corner saw Wanderers going close to a second as the ball fell to Edwards whose shot took a deflection as it went over the bar.

Danny Batth had to make a hasty clearance as Hamill closed in before Conor Coady went into the book for as untidy challenge on Marley Watkins.           

In the 19th minute Watkins flashed a header onto the roof of the net following a corner from Ryan Kent and it was Watkins that drove across the face of goal and narrowly wide of the far post just a few seconds later.

It took a great block from Harry Burgoyne to maintain his team’s advantage as Watkins rolled the ball into the path of Alex Mowatt who saw his shot cannon away off the keeper.

Batth was booked for pulling back Watkins before, in the 32nd minute, Ronan’s low effort from the edge of the box struck the outside of the post and ran behind.

Angus MacDonald’s foul on Jon Dadi Bodvarsson wide on the right led to a booking for the Barnsley man and, in the 36th minute, Wolves’ second goal.

Again it was Ronan that provided the ammunition with a well-flighted free-kick and Edwards ran in to power home a near post header.

In the 42nd minute Barnsley were reduced to ten men. Jack Price fouled Watkins in the centre circle but Watkins, who was making his debut for the Tykes, followed through with a dangerous double footed challenge leaving he referee with little option other than to produce the red card.

Two minutes later it looked like Wolves had a great chance of going into the break three up when the official pointed to the spot following Hamill’s challenge on Bright Enobakhare. But after taking to his linesman he changed his mind and gave Barnsley a free-kick.

Half-Time: Barnsley 0 Wolves 2

At the start of the new half, Barnsley replaced Kent with Matty James. 

Bodvarsson was too high with an overhead kick after Enobakhare had nodded down Matt Doherty’s cross and, at the other end, Burgoyne snuffed out a dangerous low centre from Hammill.

There was a brief altercation near the Wolves dug out when the Barnsley bench took exception to the time it was taking ton get the ball back after it had rolled in. Barnsley’s boss Danny Heckingbottom was sent to the stand by the referee. 

Edwards went into the book for shoving Armstrong before Weimann went on for Ronan in the 71st minute.

Josh Scowen’s shove on Edwards some 30-yards out gave Wolves a free-kick in a good position but Doherty’s free-kick struck the wall and was cleared.

Barnsley made a double substitution replacing Watkins and Williams with Tom Bradshaew and Adam Armstrong respectively.

But they could do little about Wanderers’ third goal in the 77th minute. Bodvarsson, with a typical burst of pace, powered into the box and when Adam Davies turned away the striker’s low, angled drive, Edwards steamed in to bury an unstoppable shot.

Barnsley pulled one back three minutes later. Burgoyne couldn’t hold on to Hamill’s free-kick and Marc Roberts had little trouble in turning and finding the net.

Mason threatened as he ran into the home area but his low shot was blocked and then Burgoyne saved well from Hammill’s shot on the turn.

Saville for Coady and Evans for Enobakhare were late changes for Wolves and, in stoppage time, Weimann was yellow carded for not retreating at a free-kick. 

In the dying seconds Hammill was just too high with a 25-yard free-kick but this was the visitors night.

Barnsley: Davies, Jones, C. Evans, Roberts (capt), MacDonald, Scowan, Mowatt, Watkins (Bradshaw 76), Kent (James 45), Williams (Armstrong 76), Hammill.

Unused subs: Townsend, Jackson, Moncur, Wardle.

Booking: MacDonald (35 – foul).

Sending-Off: Mowatt (42 – dangerous play).

Wolves: Burgoyne, Doherty, Coady (Saville 84), Edwards, Batth (capt), Hause, Mason, Price, Enobakhare (L. Evans 90), Bodvarsson, Ronan (Weimann 71).

Unused subs: Lonergan, Stearman, Dicko, Costa.

Bookings: Coady (17 – foul), Batth (27 – foul), Edwards (65 – foul), Weimann (90+3 – not retreating at free-kick).

Referee: C. Kavanagh.

Attendance: 11,880 (808 visiting supporters).


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.