Skip to main content


19:18 21st February 2015

Goal Hungry Wolves

Wolves 5 (Afobe 21, 63, Dicko 28, Edwards 74, Sako 80)

Rotherham United 0

Goal hungry Wolves were in no mood for taking prisoners as they rattled in five goals against a Rotherham team that had chances of its own, but failed to take any of them.

Scott Golbourne, Dave Edwards and James Henry returned to the starting line-up in place of Rajiv van La Parra and Kourtney Hause, who were named as substitutes, and Jack Price who was ruled out through illness. Kevin Doyle was involved for the first time in the season when he took a place on the bench.

Rotherham kicked-off but the first threats came from the home side with Bakary Sako’s centre going over the head of Henry who, in the next attack, fired wide from 22-yards.

Former Molineux man Adam Hammill hit a first time shot straight at Tomasz Kuszczak after a cross from Matt Derbyshire and then Millers keeper Adam Collin did well to cut out a low centre from Dominic Iorfa after a lovely ball from Sako had released the young defender on the right.

United were being forced further and further back and it didn’t come as a surprise when Wanderers moved into a 21st minute lead as Benik Afobe ran onto Kevin McDonald’s lofted through pass and slid the ball past the advancing Collin.

Five minutes later a Sako corner almost led to a second. He fired the ball low into the heart of the area where Henry took a swing to turn it towards goal. It bounced back to the midfielder off the legs of Nouha Dicko and when Henry hit a follow up shot he was denied by Collin’s superb diving save.

But the respite for the visitors proved to be brief as Wolves went two up in the 28th minute. Afobe took the ball from half way before slipping a short pass to Dicko and he clinically buried a low shot past Collin.

Rotherham almost got into the game as Kuszczak’s goal had two narrow escapes in a matter of seconds. In attempting to clear, Richard Stearman headed against his own post. 

Derbyshire took possession on the bye-line and his attempt to convert from the tightest of angles was thwarted by Kuszczak who got a touch to deflect the ball inches wide of the far post. 

Danny Ward’s shot was blocked after a cross from Derbyshire and when the loose ball was played back to Hammill on the edge of the box, he drew a diving save from Kuszczak.

Kari Arnason went into the book for a foul on Stearman and, just before the break, Hammill swung and completely missed the ball after Paul Green had headed it on.

Half-Time: Wolves 2 Rotherham 0

After replacing Rob Milsom with Conor Sammon, Rotherham started the second half on the front foot and the home defence had its work cut out in denying the Millers any clear sights of Kuszczak’s goal.

Hammill was shown the yellow card after stopping Stearman who was in full flight, and as Wanderers threw off their defensive shackles Henry dragged a shot wide from 20-yards.

Kuszczak made a fine save in keeping out a Derbyshire header before, against the run of play, Wolves went three up. The goal came about courtesy of Henry’s excellent through ball which left Afobe in the clear. The striker sidestepped Collin before rolling the ball into the empty net (pictured).

Rotherham still refused to throw in the towel with Kuszczak again having to be at his best to turn away a curling long range effort from Hammill.

There was a loud cheer for Doyle when he took the place of Dicko midway through the half and, at the same time, van La Parra went on for Afobe.

Derbyshire flashed a header wide following Ward’s corner, then Kuszczak was called into action once again when he saved a close range header from Sammon after Golbourne had blocked Hammill’s shot.

In the 74th minute Sako’s shot on the turn in the area was deflected for a corner that led to Wolves’s fourth goal. Sako took the flag-kick and Edwards rose to deflect a deft header in at the near post. 

Still Wanderers weren’t finished and on 80 minutes Sako netted his eighth of the season when Collin failed to keep out his low shot after van La Parra had created the opening.

Kuszczak and Stearman collided in attempting to clear a deep ball into the box presenting Sammon with a chance but the Polish keeper got back onto his line and took the Rotherham man’s header above his head.

In the dying minutes van La Parra ran into the box and fired into the side netting before driving a low cross through the goalmouth that Doyle just failed to get a foot to.

Wolves: Kuszczak, Iorfa, Golbourne (Hause 81), Edwards, Stearman, Batth (capt), Henry, Dicko (Doyle 68), Afobe (van La Parra 68), McDonald, Sako.

Subs: McCarey, Doherty, Ebanks-Landell, Jacobs.

Millers: Collin, Arnason, Broadfoot, Green (capt), Milsom (Sammon 45), Richardson, Ward, Hammill (Newton 80), Derbyshire (Clarke-Harris 77), Fryers, Smallwood.

Unused subs: Loach, Bowery, Pringle, Morgan.

Bookings: Arnason (39 – foul), Hammill (57 – foul) Ward (90+2 - kicking ball away).

Referee: I. Williamson.

Attendance: 20,336.

Wolves Academy Under 18s 3 (Ennis 2, Rainey) Newcastle United 2


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.