Skip to main content


18:08 26th April 2014

One Hundred Up

Coventry City 1 (Batth-og 86)

Wolves 1 (Edwards 84)

A late own goal from Danny Batth shortly after Dave Edwards had broken the deadlock at the Sixfields Stadium meant that Wolves had to be content with a share of the spoils with Coventry although the draw took the Molineux men up to the magical 100 point mark in League One.

Kenny Jackett made four changes to his team with Matt Doherty, James Henry, Liam McAlinden and Lee Evans coming in for Samuel Ricketts, Jack Price, Nouha Dicko and Bakary Sako all of whom were named as substitutes.

The away following occupied the seating opposite and to the right of the main stand.

Wanderers kicked-off and in a quiet opening to proceedings, neither goal came under threat although Edwards did win the game’s first corner which was taken by Henry and headed clear.

It wasn’t until the 12th minute that the first real threat arrived – a low drive from Nathan Delfouneso, on loan to the Sky Blues from Aston Villa, that wasn’t far wide.

Wolves responded with a McAlinden header that went straight to keeper Joe Murphy after Evans had lifted the ball into the box.

In the 18th minute Evans slipped and Mark Marshall grabbed possession but wastefully fired high over the bar. Marshall then planted a free-kick from wide on the right into the arms of Carl Ikeme after Richard Stearman had been pulled up for a foul on Callum Wilson.

Chances were minimal at either end but Batth had to hook clear a dangerous cross from Marshall before McAlinden fired wide from 22-yards at the other end.

When Henry was fouled to the right of the home area, he took the free-kick himself and Evans got in a glancing header that went straight to Murphy.

The best chance of the half for Wolves came six minutes before the break when Murphy could only parry a shot from Michael Jacobs, but Jordan Clarke got across to clear in a nick of time as McAlinden and Edwards moved in for the kill.

Half-Time: Sky Blues 0 Wolves 0

A foul by Batth on Delfouneso a good 30-yards out provided City with a free-kick opportunity. Marshall took the kick and although he got plenty of power behind his shot, it was too high to worry Ikeme.

Cyrus Christie tried to pull back Jacobs and then he tripped the Wolves man to earn a deserved booking.

On the hour, Sako and Dicko were sent on in place of McAlinden and Jacobs respectively. Within seconds Sako won a corner which he took himself and Batth ran in to power a header towards goal only for Murphy to save.

A Christie cross-shot flew through the heart of the goalmouth and narrowly wide of the far post, and then Dicko needed treatment after Clarke caught him with an accidental high kick as he attempted to clear the ball.

A cross-field ball from Evans picked out Sako on the left. He beat Christie but then was well off target as he attempted to find the far corner of the net.

Batth cleared a shot from John Fleck after Marshall had rolled a free-kick into his path, and when Sako was fouled by Christie just outside the home area, the winger drilled in a free-kick that Murphy just managed to cling on to as Dicko and Edwards charged in.

Wolves moved ahead in the 84th minute as Edwards scooped the ball past Murphy following a great cross from Sako.

But the joy proved to be short-lived as City levelled within two minutes. Marshall sent in a free-kick from the left of the box and Batth, in trying to clear, succeeded only in heading into his own net.

City: Murphy (capt), Christie, Webster, C. Thomas, Fleck, Delfouneso (Seabourne 90+2), Prutton, Willis, Wilson, Clarke, Marshall.

Unused subs: Burge, Adams, Baker, Eccleston, G. Thomas, Finch.

Booking: Christie (59 – foul). 

Wolves: Ikeme, Doherty, Golbourne (Ricketts 84), McDonald, Batth (capt), Stearman, Henry, Edwards, McAlinden (Dicko 60), Evans, Jacobs (Sako 60).

Unused subs: McCarey, Davis, Price, Ebanks-Landell, 

Referee: B. Malone.

Attendance: 4,585 (2,170 away supporters)

Arsenal Under 18s 2 Wolves 2 (Priest, Lindsey).


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.