Skip to main content


09:04 17th July 2013

Orient Hit Back In Table Top Tussle

Wolves 1 (Ebanks-Landell 5)

Leyton Orient 1 (Baudry 60)

After taking an early lead and dominating the first-half, Wolves were hit by a Leyton Orient equaliser on the hour and the spoils were shared in the top versus second meeting at a packed Molineux.

Bakary Sako returned to the starting line-up in place of Dave Edwards and Ethan Ebanks-Landell played at right-back with Scott Golbourne, who suffered a ‘dead leg’ in the Crewe game, joining Edwards on the bench. 

Wolves kicked-off attacking the North Bank end and, as they did against Crewe three days earlier, they made a perfect start. 

Orient keeper Jake Larkins had already saved a Michael Jacobs free-kick before Ebanks-Landell gave Wanderers into a fourth minute advantage.

A sublime ball from James Henry picked out Kevin McDonald in midfield. He quickly laid the ball into the path of Ebanks-Landell who drilled home a superb angled shot from just inside the area (pictured).

Jacobs almost fashioned a second when he tricked Nathan Clarke and took the ball to the by-line before trying a low cross that was blocked by a defender. From Henry’s corner Larkin punched clear in the heart of a crowded six-yard box.

Orient threatened when Kevin Lisbie got clear on the right and hit a low, curling cross that Carl Ikeme managed to smother at the second attempt.

A McDonald shot took a hefty deflection off Romain Vincelot and from Henry’s corner Jake Cassidy, at the near post, flicked the ball into the side netting.

Then Jacobs got the ball to the by-line once more and this time his cross went through the goalmouth with just a touch needed for Wolves to double their lead.

The pressure on the Orient defence remained and when Ebanks-Landell went forward again he found Sako with a low cross but the winger’s on target shot was blocked by a defender.

A last ditch tackle by Mattieu Baudry  denied Jacobs as the on loan midfielder was on the verge of converting after a fine solo run before Lloyd James was booked for a foul on Jack Price.

Cassidy fired narrowly wide and, in a rare attack from the visitors, Danny Batth made a fine interception before clearing Lisbie’s driven cross.

Then Batth was harshly penalised for a challenge on Vincelot right on the edge of the home area. James’s free-kick struck the defensive wall before being scrambled clear.

Cassidy wasn’t far away with a glancing header from a Henry centre, and then the striker helped on an Ebanks-Landell pass to Jacobs whose path to goal was blocked.

Vincelot was shown the yellow card after a late challenge on Henry who then took the free-kick from midway in the visitors half with the ball curling just wide of the post after no-one managed to get a head to it.

Half-Time: Wolves 1 Leyton Orient 0

Price, who appeared to be suffering from a knock before the break, was replaced by Edwards at the start of the new half whilst Orient sent on Gary Sawyer for Vincelot.

A strong run by Jacobs took him from the halfway line to edge of the Orient box but his shot at goal was off target. 

Orient pulled level on the hour mark after Edwards was deemed to have pulled back James who quickly rolled the free-kick to Dean Cox. He played a shot pass to Moses Odubajo and his low cross ran to the far post were it was forced home by Baudry.

Henry was wide from 20-yards and then his free-kick was cleared after Sako had been obstructed by Baudry to the left of the Orient box – a foul that earned a booking.

Three successive home corners forwarded no success although the second, taken by Sako, resulted in a goalmouth scramble and from the third, taken by Henry, Edwards planted a header wide of the far post.

With 20 minutes remaining both sides made further changes with Leigh Griffiths going on for Henry and, for Orient, Yohann Lasimant went on for Robbie Simpson.

Cassidy was booked for handling the ball as he tried to reach Ebanks-Landell’s cross. Kevin Doyle was introduced for the final five minutes in place of Cassidy, and the Irish striker was soon in the thick of it as he played a ball from Jacobs into the path of Ebanks-Landell who curled a shot narrowly over from the edge of the area.

In stoppage time a Griffiths free-kick from 30-yards out struck the wall and bounced back to the Scot. He volleyed the ball back into the box but the flag was quickly raised for offside and the last chance of a winning goal had disappeared. 

Wolves: Ikeme, Ebanks-Landell, Ricketts (capt), McDonald, Batth, Stearman, Henry (Griffiths 71), Sako, Cassidy (Doyle 85), Price (Edwards 45), Jacobs.

Unused subs: Hennessey, Evans, Golbourne, Bancessi.

Booking: Cassidy (73 – deliberate hand ball). 

Orient: Larkins, Omozusi, Vincelot (Sawyer 45), Baudry, Cox, James, Lisbie, Odubajo, Clarke (capt), Bartley, Simpson (Lasimant 71).

Unused subs: Lee, Gorman, Finney, Ling, Grainger.

Bookings: James (23 – foul), Vincelot (39 – foul), Baudry  (66 – foul).

Referee: D. Coote.

Attendance: 28,598.


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.