Skip to main content


19:30 9th February 2013

Danny Boy Bags Late Goal

Wolves 2 (Peltier-,og 53, Batth 90+2)

Leeds United 2 (Varney 64, McCormack-pen 77)

After taking the lead, Wolves had to come from behind to salvage a point against Leeds with young defender Danny Batth coming to the rescue deep into stoppage time.

The only change to the Wolves side saw Kevin Doyle returning in place of Björn Sigurdarson who was named as a substitute.

Leeds kicked-off attacking the hotel end they had a chance inside the first two minutes when David Norris’s shot took a hefty deflection off Batth, who had bravely thrown himself in front of the ball which looped onto the roof of the net with Carl Ikeme stranded.

Doyle rode a tackle in a run to the edge of the box but his left foot shot was comfortably saved by Leeds keeper Paddy Kenny before play swung to the other end where Paul Green was just wide of the far post with an angled drive after he had latched onto Kevin Foley’s headed clearance.

After 14 minutes Steve Morison connected with Ross McCormack’s free-kick and sent a glancing header inches over the bar whilst Tongo Doumbia wasn’t quite as close when he got his head to a Doyle cross from the right.

Sylvan Ebanks-Blake ran onto a Bakary Sako through ball and beat Kenny but he was the victim of a marginal offside decision much to his and the crowd’s disappointment.

Christophe Berra tripped Norris just a yard outside the home area but Foley was on hand to head clear McCormack’s free-kick.

It took a fine save from Kenny to thwart Sako whose 20-yard ground shot flew through a sea of legs and was heading just inside the post until the veteran keeper got across to turn the ball behind.

Half-Time: Wolves 0 Leeds 0

The first chance of the new half fell to Wolves as Doyle delivered a short cross and Jamie O’Hara stooped to direct a header narrowly wide.

Wolves moved ahead in the 53rd minute when Stephen Ward’s low, driven cross hit Stephen Warnock. The ball rebounded on to Lee Peltier and off him into the net.

Norris fired over the bar after a McCormack corner was only half cleared and, at the opposite end, Kenny saved from Foley who had taken a return pass from Ebanks-Blake and tried his luck from the edge of the area.

Twice in the space of a few seconds Wolves went close to extending their lead. Kenny had to dive full length to save an angled effort from Sako who then played a short corner to Doyle who turned and crossed for Batth to send a header just over the bar.

But, from that near miss, Wanderers suddenly found themselves pegged back as Luke Varney levelled matters. Sam Byram slipped a pass inside to Norris whose shot was blocked. The ball ran to McCormack and he slipped it into the path of Varney who steered it past Ikeme.

Almost immediately, Wolves won a corner which was taken by Sako and headed powerfully towards goal by Batth. Green cleared it off the line and Doyle was wide as he attempted to force home the rebound.

Ikeme made a fine save to deny Varney a second goal before the visitors moved ahead in controversial circumstances in the 77th minute. Sako and Byram had a shoulder to shoulder coming together to the right of the area and the linesman signalled for a penalty. 

It was a highly debateable decision but protests were ignored and McCormack slotted home the spot kick.

Sigurdarson replaced Doumbia for the final ten minutes and, after Tom Lees almost headed into his own net in attempting to clear a Sako centre, Dave Edwards was sent on in place of Karl Henry.

Two minutes into stoppage time O’Hara sent over a corner and Batth rose to power home a header and give Wolves the point they deserved (pictured). 

Wolves: Ikeme, Foley, Ward, O’Hara, Batth, Berra, Doumbia (Sigurdarson 79), Henry (capt) (Edwards 87), Ebanks-Blake, Doyle, Sako.

Unused subs: De Vries, Hunt, Davis, Marreitter, Cassidy.

Leeds: Kenny, Peltier (capt), Lees, Green, Morison, Varney, Warnock, Brown, Norris, Byram, McCormack (Barkley 90+4).

Unused subs: Pearce, Ashdown, White, Tonge, Habibou, Hall.

Referee: R. East.

Attendance: 23,463. 

Wolves Academy Under 18s 3 (Dell, Keita, Ifil) West Ham United 2


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.