Skip to main content


19:21 26th December 2012

Festive Woe For Wolves

Wolves 0

Peterborough 3 (Tomlin 16, Rowe 43, Gayle 69)

After the highs of the away win at Blackpool, Wolves came back down to earth with a bump as they slumped to a 3-0 defeat at Molineux to bottom of the table Peterborough.

Wolves were unchanged but there was a return for Jamie O’Hara who was named as a substitute for his first senior involvement since March.  Included in the visitors line up was former Molineux defender Mark Little.

Wanderers kicked-off attacking the South Bank end on a saturated pitch. In the opening seconds keeper Bobby Olejnik had to run from his area to clear from Sylvan Ebanks-Blake. Peterborough’s first attempt came from Dwight Gayle who fired over from 20-yards.

A Jermaine Pennant corner was turned behind by Olejnik and this time Bakary Sako took the flag- kick but the ball went out before curling back into play.

In the tenth minute Carl Ikeme came to the rescue with a superb block from Gayle who had been played clean through by Lee Tomlin.

But luck was against the in-form keeper in the 16th minute as Posh took the lead. Joe Newell sent in a low cross that Tomlin thumped towards goal. Ikeme somehow got a hand to the shot but the fates were against the unfortunate keeper as the ball hit the underside of the bar and bounced down behind the line. 

Tommy Rowe fouled Pennant to the right of the Peterborough box but Sako’s free-kick was pawed away by Olejnik. A Pennant corner almost reaped a reward as Roger Johnson and Christophe Berra headed the ball on but Olejnik managed to claim at Kevin Doyle’s feet.

George Thorne felled Tongo Doumbia some 22-yards out only for Sako to overhit the free-kick with the ball sailing harmlessly wide on the far side.

It took a good piece of defensive work from Kevin Foley to stop Newell from an almost certain second goal for the visitors with the defender challenging just as Newell shot.

Pennant was too high with a free-kick after Tomlin had fouled Henry before the home defence had to withstand a spell a heavy pressure.

In the 39th minute Doyle went on a 40-yard run before slipping the ball to Ebanks-Blake who had sprinted into the right of the area. The striker hit a rasping angled drive that was touched over by Olejnik.

From Pennant’s corner Olejnik punched clear but only as far as Johnson and the Austrian born keeper then claimed the ball after Johnson and Doyle had headed it back into the danger area. 

Two minutes before the break, Posh went two up when Rowe cut inside and drilled a low shot into the corner of the net from the edge of the area.

Half-Time: Wolves 0 Peterborough 2

Björn Sigurdarson was an interval replacement for Stephen Ward as Ståle Solbakken decided to throw caution to the wind and play with just three at the back as he sent his men out in search of goals. 

Pennant shot well wide with a low shot and then Ebanks-Blake was off target with a header after a cross from Sigurdarson.

Things went from bad to worse for Wolves in the 69th minute as Peterborough added a third goal with Gayle slotting the ball home at the near post after a low cross from Little.

Pennant was booked for tripping Little shortly afterwards, then he was replaced by David Davis. At the same time O’Hara was sent on in place of Ebanks-Blake.

George Boyd almost added a fourth for Peterborough whilst, for Wolves, Sako’ s free-kick curled right through the six-yard box and out for a goal kick with no-one able to supply a finishing touch. 

Deep into stoppage time, following a Sako corner, Doumbia poked the ball towards goal only for a defender to clear off the line in front of an almost empty stadium with most of the disappointed home supporters already on their way home. 

Wolves: Ikeme, Foley, Ward (Sigurdarson 45), Doumbia, Johnson, Berra, Pennant (Davis 76), Henry (capt), Ebanks-Blake (O’Hara 76), Doyle, Sako.

Unused subs: De Vries, Stearman, Batth. Forde.

Booking: Pennant (75 – foul). 

Peterborough: Olenik, Zukuani, Bostwick, Tomlin (Swanson 81), Boyd, Rowe (capt), Newell (Ferdinand 81), Little, Knight-Percival, Thorne (McCann 86), Gayle. 

Unused subs: Alcock, Brisley, Kearns, Ferdinand.

Referee: M. Heywood.

Attendance: 23,033. 


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.