Skip to main content


18:08 1st December 2012

Back With A Bang

Bristol City 1 (Dann 85)

Wolves 4 (Ebanks-Blake 20, Doyle 25, 41, Sigurdarson 44)

Wolves ended their winless streak in fine style with a comprehensive victory over Bristol City at Ashton Gate. The Molineux men tore into the Robins rattling in four goals before the interval in a one-sided half.

Wanderers, with three changes to their side, attacked the end of the ground that housed 1,700 of their supporters. David Davis, Richard Stearman and Jermaine Pennant were named as substitutes whilst into the starting line-up came Kevin Foley, Sylvan Ebanks-Blake and, back from suspension, Karl Henry.  Björn Sigurdarson was given a role on the right side of midfield.

From the off Wolves looked the more threatening and Ebanks-Blake missed a golden opportunity after just four minutes when he stabbed the ball wide from six-yards out after Bakary Sako had delivered a low cross into the box. 

City skipper Liam Fontaine hit a shot on the turn from just outside the area straight at Carl Ikeme before Roger Johnson needed lengthy treatment after a flailing arm caught him in the face in an aerial challenge.

Ebanks-Blake headed over from a Foley cross before Wanderers the lead in the 20th minute. Sako’s corner was headed out by Fontaine but only as far as Stephen Ward who volleyed the ball back into the six-yard box where Ebanks-Blake appeared to get a touch although Neil Danns was in the mix with a possible own goal and Ward also staked a claim.

Just five minutes later Kevin Doyle doubled the lead as he bundled home Sigurdarson’s short driven cross from the right.

It was virtual one-way traffic as the rampant Wolves attack hammered away at a City defence that was looking increasingly fragile as the game progressed.

The fragility was clear as the home rearguard was breached twice more as the half drew to a close. On 40 minutes Doyle picked the ball up in the centre circle and sprinted to the edge of the home box before drilling a low shot past keeper Tom Heaton and into the corner of the net.

Then, in the 44th minute, Sigurdarson got in on the act as he neatly finished off a move involving Sako and Ebanks-Blake.

Half-Time: City 0 Wolves 4

Another run by Doyle almost led to a fifth shortly after the restart. The striker ran in from the right and Heaton half stopped his shot with Matthew Bates completing the clearance in front of the line with Ebanks-Blake waiting for any slip. 

An over the top ball from Henry dropped in front of Doyle but Heaton ran from his line to save before, in a rare City attack, Marvin Elliott lifted a shot over the bar.

Ikeme had seen little of the action but he did well to hold on to a 25-yard first time drive from Danns.

Wolves went close again in the 56th minute after Heaton had tipped a venomous effort from  Sako over at the near post. From Sako’s corner Johnson rose to power a header against the bar before the City defence scrambled the ball clear.

There was concern for David Edwards on the hour mark when he went down on the far side of the field in obvious pain. The midfielder was carried off on a stretcher with a hamstring injury and replaced by Davis.

Bristol substitute Sam Baldock wasn’t too far off with a drive that went over the near angle. But Wolves were soon back on the attack and Heaton parried a 20-yard shot from Ebanks-Blake before a defender completed the clearance.

Anthony Forde became Wolves’ second change when he replaced Doyle in the 72nd minute.

Ebanks-Blake just failed to get his foot to another cross from the industrious Sako and then Davis, after spotting Heaton off his line, chipped narrowly over the far angle.

Although City were enjoying more of the paly, the main threat was still coming from Wolves and the home defence struggled to clear a Sako centre with Ebanks-Blake and then Sigurdarson both crowded out as they tried to get a shot away.

Five minutes from time Danns struck home a terrific shot from 25-yards to give his side a small consolation but, after so many recent disappointments, this was Wolves’ afternoon.  

City: Heaton, Foster, Fontaine (capt), Kilkenny (Baldock 45), Pearson, Taylor (Davies 58), Elliott, Bryan, Adomah, Danns, Bates.

Unused subs: Gerken, Wilson, Anderson, Reid, Wilson.

Bookings: Dann (72 – foul), Davies (90 – foul).

Wolves: Ikeme, Foley, Ward, Edwards (Davis 60), Johnson, Berra, Sigurdarson (Nouble 85), Henry (capt), Ebanks-Blake, Doyle (Forde 72), Sako.

Unused subs: De Vries, Stearman, Pennant, Batth.

Referee: K. Stroud.

Manchester City Under 21s 1 Wolves 0


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.