Skip to main content


19:04 27th October 2012

Another Home Draw

Wolves 1 (Sako 12)

Charlton Athletic 1 (Wilson 57)

For the second time in five days at Molineux, Wolves were held to a draw after having taken the advantage. Backary Sako fired Wanderers into an early lead but Ståle Solbakken’s men failed to capitalise on their first half superiority and the visitors hit back to level after the break through Lawrie Wilson.

Wolves, who were unchanged for the visit of The Addicks, kicked off attacking the South Bank end. 

Bar two long range Charlton efforts, both of which were way off target, there was little of  consequence in front of goal until Wolves moved into a 12th minute lead. Jermaine Pennant pushed the ball down the line for Kevin Foley to run on and deliver a cross that Sako side footed on the volley into the corner of the net.

The Foley-Pennant combination almost conjured up a second just two minutes later but this time Sylvan Ebanks-Blake and Sako got in each other’s way as they tried to convert the on loan winger’s centre.

Michael Morrison had to make a hurried clearance under pressure from Ebanks-Blake after another Foley ball into the middle and then, after Pennant had been upended by Salim Kerkar to the right of the Charlton box, visiting keeper Ben Hamer had to punch clear Sako’s inswinging free-kick.

Carl Ikeme just beat Rob Hulse to a short through ball in a rare Charlton attack before Christophe Berra ran half the length of the field and unleashed a low, 20-yard drive that went straight to Hamer.

A half clearance from Foley’s cross fell nicely for Stephen Ward on the far side of the box. He hit the ball sweetly on the volley but it struck a defender and bounced behind for a corner. Sako’s flag-kick dropped for Roger Johnson whose right foot shot on the run went over the bar.

Ikeme got down low at his near post to save Hulse’s shot on the turn before, at the other end, Sako’s through ball to Doyle was intercepted. Sako regained possession and hit a low shot that was comfortably gathered by Hamer.

Kerkar was close with an effort from just outside the area, then Hamer held Johnson’s header under the bar from Sako’s free-kick after Cedric Evina had fouled Pennant wide on the right.

Half-Time: Wolves 1 Charlton 0

Björn Sigurdarson was an interval replacement for Ebanks-Blake.

In the 53rd minute Wolves had a goal disallowed after Kevin Doyle deflected Tongo Doumbia’s shot into the net. Pennant’s cross was headed down by Doyle to Doumbia who hit a fierce shot against Doyle’s head that went into the net. But the Irish striker had stumbled forward into an offside position after his initial header and the flag of the linesman quickly silenced the cheers of the home support. 

Four minutes later Charlton were level. Hulse met Ivina’s centre on the edge of the six-yard box and Ikeme made a superb block. But the ball bounced off the keeper and then Hulse before rolling against the foot of the post. Unfortunately for Wolves, the ball then spun into the path of the unmarked Wilson who couldn’t miss.

It could have been worse on the hour mark when Hulse, with the goal at his mercy, headed wide following Bradley Pritchard’s cross.

A miskick from Berra presented Hulse with a chance that Ikeme parried at his near post and then, when Hamer stepped out of his area whilst making a clearance, Sako drilled the resultant free-kick through the wall but straight at Hamer.

With eight minutes remaining a double home switch saw Dave Edwards and Anthony Forde taking the places of Karl Henry and Pennant. 

Sigurdarson flicked on a Ward cross to Sako who shot as he fell with Hamer making the save. Hulse was then booked for tripping Berra.

In the final minute of the 90 Johnnie Jackson planted a close range header wide after Chris Solly had supplied the cross before, in stoppage time, Sako lifted a shot over the bar after Forde had helped on Ward’s centre. 

Wolves: Ikeme, Foley, S. Ward, Doumbia, Johnson, Berra, Pennant (Forde 82), Henry (capt) (Edwards 82), Ebanks-Blake (Sigurdarson 45), Doyle, Sako.

Unused subs: Stearman, Davis, Batth, De Vries.

Charlton: Hamer, Evina, Jackson (capt), Morrison, Kerkar (Cook 84), Pritchard (Hollands 90), Solly, Wilson, Cort, Hulse, Dervite-Vaussoue.

Unused subs: Taylor, Green, Wright-Phillips, Razak, Button.  

Booking: Hulse (88 – foul).

Referee: C. Pawson.

Attendance: 22,198.  

Wolves Under 18s 2 (Parry, Keita)   Fulham 2


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.