Skip to main content


22:30 23rd October 2012

Thwarted At The Death

Wolves 2 (Doyle 27, 29)

Bolton (Afobe 21, M. Davies 90)

A last minute volley from former Molineux youth graduate Mark Davies meant that Wolves had to settle for a point from their home clash with Bolton. A quickfire double from Kevin Doyle had seen the Molineux men come from behind but the visitors came back at the death.

Karl Henry returned from suspension to lead the side in place of David Davis as the only change to the starting line-up. Bolton kicked off attacking the North Bank end on a murky and damp Molineux evening. 

There was little goalmouth action until the eighth minute when Carl Ikeme had to react smartly to prevent a corner after Kevin Foley had got a foot in to halt Mark Davies’s run at goal. Seconds later Martin Petrov let fly from 25-yards and the ball swerved narrowly wide.

After 12 minutes it was Henry who was the first to test Bolton keeper Adam Bogdan with a low, 20 yard drive that was pushed aside. Bogdan then smothered a Bakary Sako cross at Sylvan Ebanks-Blake’s feet.

There wasn’t much to choose between the sides but it was Bolton that broke the deadlock in the 21st minute when Petrov’s corner dropped in the heart of a crowded goalmouth and Benik Afobe chested the ball down before slotting it home.

Wolves were inches away from an equaliser from a corner of their own which was taken by Jermaine Pennant. Roger Johnson charged in to deliver a bouncing header that clipped the bar as it went over.

But Doyle restored parity on the 27th minute as he raced onto Sako’s short through ball and, from just inside the area, he drilled a left foot drive past Bogdan.

The cheers had hardly subsided when the popular striker did it again. Petrov tripped Pennant three yards outside the Bolton box and Bogdan could only parry Sako’s free-kick leaving Doyle to nod home the rebound into the roof of the net.

When Wolves were awarded another free-kick, this time to the left of the visitors area, Sako lashed the ball low into the box where Bogdan managed to beat it clear at his near post.

Then Bolton were awarded a free-kick near the right hand corner and Petrov’s free-kick was well saved by Ikeme.

In stoppage time a lovely piece of play between Foley and Pennant saw the full-back’s cross just eluding Doyle who appeared to be nudged by a defender as he ran in.

Half-Time: Wolves 2 Bolton 1

Bolton replaced goalscorer Afobe with David Ngog at the start of the new half and the Lancashire side made some threatening inroads on the home defence as play resumed.

A cross from Petrov was punched clear by Ikeme but only as far as Chris Eagles who, as he tried to control, was dispossessed by Henry.

Ikeme was certainly the busier of the two keepers. He needed two attempts to cling into a low shot from Petrov and then had to dive full length to turn a 20 yard shot from Eagles round the post. 

Bjorn Sigurdarsson replaced Ebanks-Blake and, after a Pennant corner had been half cleared to Ward whose shot went across the face of goal, a second change saw Dave Edwards coming on for the on loan winger.

Midway through the half Sako had his shot saved by Bogdan after he had played a one-two with Ward, and then a mix up in the Bolton defence ended with Sigurdarson screwing a shot just wide of the far post. 

Ikeme made a good stop from Eagles and Ngog, from a tight angle, hit the rebound over the bar. 

Tyrone Mears saw his free-kick deflected inches wide and Ikeme made another five save as parried a fierce Jay Spearing drive. Johnson was clattered as he cleared the loose ball as Ngog homed in.

But, just as it looked as if Wolves were going to hold out, with 30 seconds of the 90 minutes remaining Davies volleyed the equaliser.    

Wolves: Ikeme, Foley, S. Ward, Doumbia, Johnson, Berra, Pennant (Edwards 67), Henry (capt), Ebanks-Blake (Sigurdarson 63), Doyle (Stearman 63), Sako.

Unused subs: Zubar, Batth, Forde, McCarey.

Bolton: Bogdan, Mears, Mills (Ricketts 72), Ream, Eagles, Petrov, K. Davies (capt), Warnock (Andrews 88), M. Davies, Afobe (Ngog 45), Spearing.

Unused subs: Pratley, Riley, Lee, Lynch.

Referee: L. Probert.

Attendance: 20,915. 


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.