Skip to main content


23:24 18th January 2012

FA Cup Blues

Wolves 0

Birmingham City 1 (Elliott 74)

A much changed Wolves side bowed out of the FA Cup following a disappointing display against near neighbours Birmingham City who went through to a fourth round tie at Sheffield United courtesy of a late Wade Elliott goal.

Christophe Berra, captain for the night, was the only member of the team that started at Tottenham to begin the game against City.

The visitors kicked-off attacking the North Bank end and the first real moment of danger came when David Murphy found some space on the left and delivered a low cross that Berra cleared from the heart of the six-yard box.

A determined run from Stephen Hunt was halted by a blocked challenge. The ball broke to Sylvan Ebanks-Blake but Colin Doyle had little trouble in saving his low shot.

Ebanks-Blake was a lot closer to breaking the deadlock in the 9th minute. Adam Hammill held off Jean Beausejour's challenge before crossing for Ebanks-Blake to power a bouncing header just the wrong side of the post.

Eggert Jonsson, making his home debut, lifted the ball to the edge of the Blues area where Ebanks-Blake chested it into the path of Nenad Milijaš who volleyed high and wide from the edge of the area.

Matt Doherty got to the bye-line and hit a fierce cross that was too high for the incoming Ebanks-Blake, then a nasty collision between Beausejour and Murphy saw both players needing attention for cut heads.

Both went to the dressing room for treatment leaving City to play with nine men. Murphy soon returned but it was almost ten minutes before Beausejour rejoined fray again.

Before his return there was a scare for the home crowd when the ball bounced over Berra's head leaving Adam Rooney with a clear path to goal. Just as he was about to shoot George Elokobi got back to divert the ball back to Dorus De Vries with the referee waving aside penalty appeals.

After 42 minutes De Vries had to be at his best to turn Curtis Davies's header past the post after Jordon Mutch had planted a free-kick into the Wolves box.

Milijaš hit a 25-yard free-kick straight to Doyle after his namesake in the home team had been pulled down by Davies.

In stoppage time of an uninspiring half, Jonathan Spector was inches wide of the far post with an angled drive.

Half-Time: Wolves 0 Blues 0

De Vries had to turn aside a low 25-yard effort from Mutch and after Elokobi was deemed to have obstructed Spector to the right of the area, Murphy's free-kick sailed harmlessly wide on the far side.

Elokobi's throw-in to Hammill was followed by a cross that half cleared to Doherty. The defender ran in and from 25-yards hit a shot that skimmed across the surface but into the arms of Doyle.

Moments later Jonsson was replaced by Adlene Guedioura who, within two minutes of his introduction hit a drive that curled the wrong side of the far post.

A second switch for the home side saw Steven Fletcher replacing Doyle for the final 20 minutes.

Elokobi almost put through his own goal as he kicked a low cross from Beausejour behind. But, from the corner conceded, Elliott grabbed what proved to be the winning goal.

Mutch fired over the flag-kick and when the ball dropped to Elliott his shot from close range struck the post. Murphy pushed the rebound back towards goal and the ball was deflected back to Elliott who was lying on the floor as he hooked it over the line from just a yard out.

Five minutes from the end De Vries had to palm away a Beausejour drive before Wanderers almost snatched an 88th minute equaliser.

Ebanks-Blake's shot was deflected into the path of Fletcher and although the Scot beat Doyle to the ball, the keeper managed to block. Hunt homed in on the loose ball but he was denied by Doyle who made a fine save to turn the ball over the bar.

Wolves: De Vries, Doherty (Ward 83), Elokobi, Jonsson (Guedioura 67), Berra (capt), Stearman, Hammill, Milijaš, K. Doyle (Fletcher 72), Ebanks- Blake, Hunt.

Unused subs: Hennessey, Henry, Keogh, Forde.

Blues: C. Doyle, Murphy, Caldwell (capt), Mutch, Beausejour, Gomis (Fahey 89), Elliott, Rooney, Redmond (Burke 76), Spector, Davies (capt).

Unused subs: Zigic, King, Valles, Butland, Gnahore.

Referee: H. Webb.

Attendance: 10,153.

    Data provided by Press Association


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.