Skip to main content


22:56 20th September 2011

Five Star Wolves

Wolves 5 (Edwards 3, Hammill 7, Elokobi 38, Vokes 77, Guedioura 88)

Millwall 0

Wolves cruised into the fourth round of the Carling Cup after hitting five past Millwall including a goal from Adlene Guedioura who rounded off the scoring with a stunning effort just before the end.

Just three of the players that had started against Queens Park Rangers three days earlier, George Elokobi, Richard Stearman and Christophe Berra, began the game against The Lions.

Millwall kicked-off attacking the North Bank end of the ground but it was Wanderers that took the early advantage with a goal after just three minutes.

Skipper on the night, Stephen Hunt, fired in a cross from the right and when Sam Vokes' header was blocked Dave Edwards was on hand to force the ball over the line.

Four minutes later and it was two. Alan Dunn handled some 22-yards out and Adam Hammill curled a terrific free-kick beyond the reach of Steve Mildenhall in the Millwall goal. It was the winger's first goal for the club.

The visiting defence were struggling stem the pressure and after Vokes had a shot blocked following a lay off from Edwards, Nenad Milijaś drove narrowly wide.

Guedioura was the next to try his luck. He picked the ball up on the halfway line and raced towards the Millwall box before hitting a fierce shot that was wide of the mark.

It was in the 22nd minute that the small group of travelling fans finally had something to cheer - a low effort from Hamer Bouazza that drew a diving save from Dorus De Vries.

Elokobi did well to block a Dany N'Guessan attempt at goal and then, at the other end, Hammill curled a shot into the keeper's arms.

Guedioura's low cross was just too far in front of Vokes but the Algerian used his speed and skill to fashion a third goal after 38 minutes. He rode several challenges as he darted into the box before squaring the ball for Elokobi who had the easiest of tasks in converting from virtually on the line.

Three minutes later, both keepers were tested within the space of a few seconds. Mildenhall dived full length to claim a long-range effort from Milijaś and then De Vries cut out an angled drive from N'Guessan at the near post.

Just before the break, Bouazza went into the book for pulling back Matt Doherty.

Half-Time: Wolves 3 Millwall 0

Both sides made a change at the start of the new half. For Wolves, Michael Kightly went on for Edwards whilst Scott Barron replaced Bouazza for the visitors.

Hammill cut in from the left and hit a curling shot into the arms of Mildenhall and when the Londoners next threatened, De Vries just beat John Marquis to the loose ball after he had parried James Henry's low drive.

Jack Smith got in a timely clearing header as Kightly's cross looked destined for Milijaś at the far post before, on the hour, Kightly almost capitalised on a defensive lapse but a heavy touch allowed Mildenhall to claim.

Some fine wing play by Hammill saw him progress deep into the Millwall box before he lifted the ball over the bar from a tight angle and then Kightly forced a good save Mildenhall.

Kightly also figured in Wolves next attack. Both Hammill and Vokes allowed his low pass to run through to Milijaś who hit a first time effort narrowly wide.

Academy graduate James Spray made his first team debut when he replaced Hunt and within three minutes of his introduction he was celebrating as he latched onto an attempted clearance from Hammill's cross and his shot went in off Vokes.

But the goal of the night came from the right foot of Guedioura. Vokes' header from Kightly's corner was pushed out by Mildenhall but only as far as Elokobi who slipped a pass to Guedioura. From 30-yards he hit an absolute scorcher into the top corner.

It was a contender for any Goal of the Month and it rounded off an impressive display from Mick McCarthy's team.

Wolves: De Vries, Doherty, Elokobi, Edwards (Kightly 45), Berra, Stearman, Hammill (Jarvis 86), Guedioura, Vokes, Milijaś, Hunt (capt) (Spray 74).

Unused subs: Hennessey, K. Henry, S. Ward, O'Hara.

Millwall: Mildenhall, Smith, Stewart, Dunn (capt), D. Ward, Craig, Abdou, Bouazza (Barron 45), J. Henry, N'Guessan (O'Brien 74), Marquis.

Unused subs: Forde, Robinson, Purse, Trotter, Alabi.

Booking: Bouazza (45 - foul).

Referee: K. Wright.

Attendance: 7,749.

    Data provided by Press Association


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.