Skip to main content


18:14 14th January 2012

Fletcher Spurs Wolves

Tottenham Hotspur 1 (Modric 51)

Wolves 1 (Fletcher 22)

Wolves defied the pundits and the odds to take a fully deserved point from form team Tottenham Hotspur in a pulsating game at White Hart Lane.

For the third consecutive season Wanderers were a goal up at the break and although Luka Modric cancelled out Steven Fletcher's opener, the visitors defended manfully to take a precious point.

Just five members of the team that started in the previous week's FA Cup tie at Birmingham began the game and there was a first League start of the season for Kevin Foley.

Wolves kicked-off defending the end of the ground that housed 1,800 of their supporters.

After four minutes Kyle Walker's low cross was helped on to Modric who fired wide from the edge of the box.

Christophe Berra and Benoit Assou-Ekotto both needed treatment after separate incidents within a two minute spell and then Rafael van der Vaart was pole-axed by an Emmanuel Frimpong clearance inside the Wolves area. He too continued after treatment.

As expected, Spurs were doing all the pressing although Brad Friedel in the home goal did have to smother crosses from Matt Jarvis and Michael Kightly.

Modric was too high with a 25-yard shot and then the Croatian was in action at the other end but he couldn't prevent his side from falling behind.

Dave Edwards and Walker chased the ball back to the Tottenham bye-line and when it went out, the referee awarded a corner much to the anger of the home players and fans.

Jarvis's flag-kick was headed towards goal by Roger Johnson and when Modric cleared off the line Fletcher was on hand to force the ball home (pictured).

Spurs were soon back on the attack and Gareth Bale tried a low drive that went straight to Wayne Hennessey.

Frimpong, who was attracting boos from the home fans every time he touched the ball, went into the book for a late challenge on Bale.

Modric swung a foot at Stephen Ward's headed clearance but Hennessey was well positioned to save, and on 37 minutes there was another opening for the visitors when a Jarvis cross rolled into the path of Edwards. But he failed to make a proper connection and the ball curled away from goal.

A great ball out of defence by Edwards sent Frimpong away. He laid the ball off for Kightly who cut in from the right and tried a cross-shot that was both high and wide.

Hennessey saved from Younes Kaboul at the near post and then, when Emmanuel Adebayour did find the back of Wolves' net, the offside flag quickly muted the home celebrations.

In stoppage time a Van der Vaart free-kick went straight through to Hennessey, a last ditch tackle by Kaboul denied Frimpong a shooting opportunity, and a Jarvis free-kick was headed clear by the Spurs defence.

Half-Time: Spurs 0 Wolves 1

There was an early chance for Bale shortly after the restart but he fired high over the bar after running onto Assou-Ekotto's centre.

It then took an athletic leap by Friedel to push away Frimpong's volley after Kightly had hooked a Jarvis cross into the danger area and Kaboul headed into the path of the midfielder.

But from what could have been a 2-0 lead, Wolves were pegged back in the 51st minute when Modric took a short pass from Bale and drove the ball through the legs of defenders and into the net.

Things could have been worse three minutes later but for a double save from Hennessey who blocked from Modric and then saved Aaron Lennon's angled follow up.

Midway through the half Mick McCarthy made a change switching Stephen Hunt for Frimpong before Assou-Ekotto went into the book for kicking the ball away after pulling back Kightly.

Home skipper Michael Dawson hooked the ball high over the bar from a Van der Vaart corner and then Hennessey saved with his legs from Jeremain Defoe shortly after the striker had replaced Lennon.

After Henry had been booked for tripping Modric, the Spurs man shot over the bar from outside the area.

Johnson and Hennessey needed treatment after they had collided with each other in clearing a Spurs attack. Bizarrely, after they had received treatment, the referee decided to start the game with a dropped ball inside the area.

Johnson was booked for showing his displeasure at the decision, but justice was done when a foul was quickly awarded in Wolves' favour after the ball had been dropped.

Almost six minutes of additional time was played but the Wolves defence held firm to the delight of their supporters who were making all the noise at the final whistle.

Spurs: Friedel, Bale, Kaboul, Lennon (Defoe 74), Parker, Adebayor, Van Der Vaart, Modric, Dawson (capt), Walker, Assou-Ekotto (Rose 80).

Unused subs: Cudicini, Pavlyuchenko, Bassong, Kranjcar, Livermore.

Booking: Assou-Ekotto (69 - kicking ball away after conceding free-kick).

Wolves: Hennessey, Foley, Ward, Edwards (Milijaš 80), Berra, Johnson (capt), Kightly, Frimpong (Hunt 67), Fletcher, Henry, Jarvis (Elokobi 85).

Unused subs: De Vries, Stearman, Ebanks-Blake, Doyle.

Bookings: Frimpong (29 - foul), Henry (83 - foul), Johnson (90+3 - dissent).

Referee: M. Jones.

Attendance: 36,194.

    Data provided by Press Association


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.