Skip to main content


17:37 4th December 2010

A Bleak Afternoon In Lancashire

Blackburn Rovers 3 (Dunn 29, Emerton 43, Nelsen 55)

Wolves 0

After injury decimated Wolves had enjoyed a bright start to the game, Blackburn Rovers then took control and forged into a three goal lead inside an hour. The defeat meant that Wanderers slipped to the bottom of the Premier League table after failing once again to break their away duck.

Christophe Berra returned from suspension in place of Richard Stearman and Steven Mouyokolo came in to partner the Scot at the back. Dave Jones was ruled out with a foot injury as Mick McCarthy shuffled his pack moving George Elokobi from central defence to full back, and Stephen Ward into central midfield from his normal left sided role.

Rovers kicked off attacking the Darwen end of Ewood Park that housed over 2,000 travelling supporters.

With just over a minute gone Matt Jarvis cut into the box from the left and tested Paul Robinson with a rising drive that the keeper punched away.

A Jarvis corner was cleared before the luck that typified Wanderers' season struck in the fifth minute as the home woodwork was struck three times in just a few seconds.

Ward ran onto a low cross from Jarvis and hit an angled shot that Robinson touched onto the base of the post. The ball ran to Kevin Foley who quickly slipped it to Ronald Zubar who hit a cross-shot that hit the underside of the bar and ricocheted against the inside of the post before bouncing clear.

Moments later, Wayne Hennessey had to claw away a dangerous cross from El Hadji Diouf.

In the 19th minute David Dunn beat the offside trap and sprinted towards the Wolves box. It looked ominous for the visitors until Zubar raced back and dispossessed the Irish international with a great tackle.

Rovers took the lead in the 29th minute following a Morten Gamst Pedersen corner. The ball flew to the far side of goal and when Ryan Nelsen nodded it back into the middle, Dunn was there to head home with the ball having crossed the line before it was hooked clear by Kevin Doyle.

Nenad Milijaš was close to giving Wolves an instant response but Robinson beat away the Serb's 30-yard drive and Doyle was penalised for a foul on Michel Salgado as the pair went for the loose ball.

Berra wasn't far away from his own net with a clearing header after Pedersen had planted a deep free-kick into the Wolves area but Rovers scored again two minutes before the break.

One time Molineux striker Jason Roberts broke clear and held off a challenge from Mouyokolo before flicking the ball to Brett Emerton who rifled it into the roof of the net from just inside the area.

Half-Time: Rovers 2 Wolves 0

Sylvan Ebanks-Blake replaced Mouyokolo at the start of the new half as Wolves switched to a 4-4-2 formation with Zubar moving into the middle and Foley to right-back. Ebanks-Blake soon won a corner but Jarvis's flag-kick was easily cleared.

Six minutes into the half there were further changes with Rovers substituting Dunn with Mame Biram Diouf and, for Wolves, Stephen Hunt took the place of Michael Mancienne.

The afternoon grew worse for Wanderers as Blackburn went three up in the 55th minute. Pedersen curled over a free-kick from the left and Nelsen had little trouble in prodding the ball into the net.

Foley looked like he might reduce the deficit as he charged onto an Elokobi centre but a defender managed to block and then Hunt flicked a Jarvis corner across the face of goal with no-one able to get a touch.

Berra was booked after a challenge on Mame Diouf 25-yards out but Gamst Pedersen's free kick was cleared.

Midway through the half Phil Jones broke clear and looked odds on for a fourth until Hennessey blocked with his legs and then Elokobi hit a scorching shot that drew an excellent save from Robinson.

It was Robinson again, in the 78th minute, this time turning aside a volley from Hunt after a cross from Ward, as Wolves continued to try and salvage something from the game.

Hunt was booked for a late challenge on Gael Givet, and in stoppage time he became another victim of Robinson's agility.

The keeper somehow managed to push Ebanks-Blake's shot on the turn aside, and then he pawed away Hunt's effort that was arrowing towards the top corner.

Rovers: Robinson, Samba (capt), Givet, Nelsen, Emerson, Dunn (M.B. Diouf 52), E. H. Diouf (Morris 72), Pedersen, Salgado, Jones, Roberts (Benjani 82).

Unused subs: Bunn, Kalinic, Hoilett, Hanley.

Wolves: Hennessey, Zubar, Ward, Mouyokolo (Ebanks-Blake 45), Elokobi, Berra, Foley (capt), Milijaš, Doyle, Mancienne (Hunt 52), Jarvis.

Unused subs: Hahnemann, Stearman, Bent, Winnall, Doherty.

Bookings: Berra (68 - foul), Hunt (82 - foul).

Referee: H.Webb.

Attendance: 22,314.

    Data provided by Press Association


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.