Skip to main content


20:56 9th May 2010

Ending It In Style

Wolves 2 (Doyle-pen 10, Guedioura 78)

Sunderland 1 (K. Jones 8)

Wolves ended their season in style with a win that secured 15th place in the Premier League after they had come from behind to beat a Sunderland side that finished the game with nine men.

Mick McCarthy made three changes from the side that had lost at Portsmouth with Matt Jarvis, Adlene Guedioura and Sylvan Ebanks-Blake coming in for Geoffrey Mujangi Bia, Michael Mancienne and Kevin Foley.

Sunderland kicked-off and they could have been ahead after just a minute when Darren Bent was allowed the space in the home area to rifle in a shot that had Marcus Hahnemann at full stretch as he turned the ball aside.

There was a half chance for Ebanks-Blake on seven minutes when he chested down a cross from Kevin Doyle but Sunderland keeper Craig Gordon held on to the ball before the Wolves striker could prosper.

Play went straight to the other end and the visitors took the lead thanks to a fortuitous strike from Kenwyne Jones whose effort from the edge of the box deflected off Jody Craddock and into the net via the inside of the post.

It took Wanderers just two minutes to pull level. Matt Jarvis sped into the box and was about to cross from the by-line when he was upended by Alan Hutton. Gordon guessed correctly as he dived to his left but Doyle's spot kick was perfectly placed (Pictured: Kevin Doyle wheels away after despatching his spot-kick).

Dave Jones was narrowly wide with a 25-yard free-kick after Michael Turner had fouled Doyle, before a spectacular effort from Steed Malbranque almost restored Sunderland's lead. The midfielder's superbly executed scissors kick from 15-yards out hit the outside of the post before going behind.

Hahnemann and Dave Jones, who had lost possession just before the incident, then exchanged a few words on the edge of the home area.

Sunderland had another good opportunity in the 18th minute when Malbranque pulled the ball back into Jordan Henderson's path but he screwed his shot well wide.

Jarvis was somewhat harshly booked for a challenge on Frazier Campbell and referee Lee Mason was on the wrong end of the crowd's anger when he only spoke to Kieran Richardson following a heavy tackle on Guedioura shortly afterwards.

Gordon was quickly out to block after Jarvis homed in on Ebanks-Blake's through ball, then Doyle clipped the ball over the keeper but wide of the far post after he had connected with a long through ball.

Karl Henry was penalised for a late challenge on Malbranque who then lay in apparent agony refusing an apologetic gesture from the Wolves skipper who wasn't booked following the incident.

Malbranque then got quickly to his feet and resumed without treatment. The incident started a heated touchline row between Wolves boss McCarthy and Black Cats number two Eric Black.

Jarvis wasn't far away with a low drive from 25-yards and then Turner was shown the yellow card after felling Doyle.

Half-Time: Wolves 1 Sunderland 1

The visitors made a switch for the new half with Bolo Zenden replaced Henderson.

Five minutes after the resumption the Sunderland defence had to deal with a long throw and then a dangerous centre from George Elokobi.

Guedioura collected a cross from Henry but completely missed the ball as he tried a shot on turn, and then Malbranque shot straight at Hahnemann and Kenwyne Jones headed over when Sunderland threatened.

Wolves then made another change when Dave Edwards went on for Dave Jones.

Kenwyne Jones almost headed into his own net in attempting to clear a long throw from Elokobi - Gordon just managing to fingertip the ball over the bar. From Jarvis's corner Craddock's header bounced off Ebanks-Blake and looped into the arms of the Scottish keeper.

Doyle ran half the length of the pitch into the Sunderland box but he was challenged just as he prepared to shoot.

The Black Cats then made two further changes with Benjani and Jack Colbeck coming on for Lorik Cana and Malbranque.

What turned out to be the winning goal arrived in the 78th minute. Ronald Zubar intercepted a crossfield pass and raced down the right flank before squaring a pass to Guedioura who advanced to the edge of the area before hitting a low shot past Gordon.

Doyle got a tremendous ovation when he was replaced by Chris Iwelumo and then Sunderland were reduced to ten men after Turner was dismissed for a second bookable offence after he had fouled Jarvis.

Jarvis slipped a short pass through to Christophe Berra who ran into the left of the Sunderland box and crossed for Iwelumo who headed over at the back post.

Colbeck went into the book for a foul on Zubar before Kevin Foley came on for the last few minutes when he came on for Jarvis who was applauded from the field.

Iwelumo and Kenwyne Jones were shoulder to shoulder as they ran into the Sunderland box and although the Wolves man managed to get in a shot, it sailed high over the bar.

In stoppage time Berra was unlucky not to open his goal account for Wolves with a header from Elokobi's cross that drew a tremendous reflex save from Gordon.

Sunderland had been distinctly second best in the second-half and their misery was complete deep into stoppage time when Colbeck again clattered into Zubar and was again shown the yellow card quickly followed by the red for two bookables.

Wolves: Hahnemann, Zubar, Elokobi, Henry (capt), Craddock, Berra, Guedioura, Ebanks-Blake, Doyle (Iwelumo 79), D. Jones (Edwards 61), Jarvis (Foley 85).

Unused subs: Stearman, Milijaš, Mancienne, Ikeme.

Booking: Jarvis (22 - foul).

Sunderland: Gordon, Turner, Hutton, Malbranque (Colbeck 77), Campbell, Richardson, Bent, Henderson (Zenden 45), K. Jones, Cana (capt) (Benjani 74), Kilgallon.

Unused subs: Carson, Bardsley, Da Silva, Ferdinand.

Bookings: Turner (41 - persistent fouling), Colbeck (84 - foul).

Sendings-Off: Turner (82 - foul - second bookable offence), Colbeck (90 - foul - second bookable offence).

Referee: L. Mason.

Attendance: 28,971.

    Data provided by Press Association


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.