Skip to main content


18:13 31st October 2009

Craddock's Couple Catches A Point

Stoke City 2 (Elokobi OG 17, Etherington 44)

Wolves 2 (Craddock 47, 64)

Seemingly dead and buried as Stoke went in 2-0 up at the break, Wolves bounced back to take a point at The Britannia Stadium thanks to a brace from central defender Jody Craddock.

Chris Iwelumo returned in place of Sylvan Ebanks-Blake for his first start since April as the only change to the Wolves starting line-up.

Michael Kightly's 20-yard drive was easily saved by Thomas Sorensen before a Matthew Etherington corner was pushed out by Wayne Hennessey with Kevin Doyle completing the clearance.

Craddock was penalised for a challenge on Ricardo Fuller 25-yards out and when James Beattie's free-kick hit the wall appeals for handball against Dave Edwards were rejected.

Wolves were close to taking a 14th minute lead when George Elokobi floated the ball into the City box. Christophe Berra and Sorensen both went up for and missed the ball which drifted just inches wide a of the post.

Fuller was well wide with a header following a Rory Delap throw before City moved into a 17th minute lead. Etherington ran half the length of the pitch before delivering a cross that Elokobi planted into his own net with Beattie breathing right down his neck.

It looked as if Fuller was going to make it two as he ran into the Wolves box but Berra managed to block and Etherington blasted the loose ball over the bar as he ran in from the left.

Segundo Castillo was way off target with a shot on the turn from 30-yards then Hennessey had to save Beattie's header at full stretch after the City striker had made contact with Ryan Shawcross's centre.

Kightly was booked for a clumsy challenge on Etherington and Edwards was also shown the yellow card, shortly afterwards, for not retreating at a free-kick.

In the 44th minute Stoke scored a second goal when Delap's long throw was headed out by Berra but only as far as Etherington on the 18-yard line. He chested the ball down and hit it on the volley into the roof of the net.

In stoppage time Iwelumo nodded an Elokobi cross down to Doyle whose low shot was blocked in the crowded Stoke area.

Half-Time: Stoke 2 Wolves 0

Nenad Milijaš replaced Castillo at the start of the new half and the midfielder had an immediate impact as the deficit was reduced in the 47th minute.

Wolves were awarded a free-kick on the right and when Milijas floated the ball over it was flicked on by Berra for Cradock to run in at the far post and stab the ball high into the net.

Wolves were awarded another free-kick from virtually the same position three minutes later. Again Milijaš sent over a teasing cross but this time Sorensen managed to hold on to the ball under his crossbar.

Elokobi became the third Wolves player to go into the book after he had dragged back Etherington. The defender was replaced in the 59th minute by Richard Stearman.

Wolves, who by now were looking a far more confident side than they had in the opening half, drew level in the 64th minute and again it was Craddock who was on the mark.

From a Milijaš corner Berra got in a header at the far post that was deflected onto the roof of the net (pictured).

From Milijaš's second flag kick Craddock ran in to meet the ball with a glancing header that went over his shoulder and flew into the net.

In a ten minute spell Stoke used up all three of their substitutes with Mamady Sidibe, Tuncay and Liam Lawrence replacing Beattie, Fuller and Delap respectively whilst Mick McCarthy sent Stefan Maierhofer on for Iwelumo.

Faye wasted a glorious opportunity for The Potters when he had a free header from Etherington's corner but from eight-yards his effort went high over the bar.

Milijaš went close to snatching a late winner for the visitors after Ronald Zubar had flicked a pass to him. The Serb tried to pick his spot but his curling shot was wide of the far post.

Stoke: Sorensen, Wilkinson, Shawcross, Faye (capt), Collins, Delap (Lawrence 80), Whelan, Whitehead, Etherington, Beattie (Sidibe 71), Fuller (Tuncay 75).

Unused subs: Simonsen, Higginbotham, Cort, Pugh.

Wolves: Hennessey, Zubar, Elokobi, Edwards, Craddock, Berra, Kightly, Henry (capt), Doyle, Iwelumo, Castillo.

Unused subs: Hahnemann, Ebanks-Blake, Halford, Jarvis.

Bookings: Kightly (31 - foul), Edwards (39 - foul), Elokobi (54 - foul).

Referee: C. Foy.

Attendance: 27,500.

    Data provided by Press Association


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.