Skip to main content


19:02 19th October 2013

Sky Blues Hit Wolves With Late Equaliser

Wolves 1 (Griffiths 68) 

Coventry City 1 (Phillips 86)

A late goal from Coventry substitute Aaron Phillips meant that the spoils were shared at Molineux after Leigh Griffiths had opened the scoring with his eighth strike of the season in a tightly contested game. 

Bakary Sako was back in the side as City kicked off attacking the South Bank end in front of the biggest Molineux crowd of the season. Then Sako threaded a pass through to Griffiths to put him through one on one with the keeper but he was just offside. 

It wasn’t until the eighth minute that Carl Ikeme first touched the ball and that was to take a goal kick. The Sky Blues’ first goal attempt came from Jordan Willis who fired high and wide from just outside the area.

Callum Wilson could have been a lot closer as he lunged at a low cross from John Fleck but the striker just failed to get his foot to the ball.

After Wolves had dominated the opening exchanges, City were looking a lot stronger as the game progressed although Ikeme was seldom troubled.

There was a chance for Wolves after Jack Price had been fouled by Jordan Clarke but a defender got his head to the ball taking the sting out of Sako’s free-kick and allowing keeper Joe Murphy to claim.

But Murphy looked relieved moments later as Griffiths just failed to get on the end of a superbly delivered cross from James Henry. 

Kevin McDonald was close to a wonder goal in the 33rd minute when Murphy’s clearance fell to him in the centre circle. Spotting the keeper off his line McDonald tried an audacious chip that wasn’t too far off the mark.

Sako was wide as he tried a shot from the edge of the box before Price was forced from the field with blurred vision. He was replaced by David Davis.

Five minutes before the break, Kevin Doyle’s cross was helped on by Henry to Griffiths on the far side but he fired over the ball from an acute angle.

Just before the interval Doyle just failed to convert a cross from Henry as his glanced header drifted wide.

Half-Time: Wolves 0 City 0

Just 30 seconds after the restart Murphy was forced into action as he dived full length to push away a shot from Henry after Griffiths and Matt Doherty had created the opportunity.

Then Coventry threatened as Wilson raced through onto a long through ball forcing Ikeme to sprint from his area to boot clear.

Play switched straight to the other end and Griffiths powered a header over after a Henry corner. Henry then had a half chance himself but his volley went over the bar.

There was a real derby feel to the game and Leon Clarke almost punished his former club as he bore down on goal but a combination of Danny Batth and Doherty got across to clear in a nick of time.

Fleck was no more than a foot wide with a low, angled drive from the edge of the box, and despite being surrounded by three defenders Sako still managed to force a corner as the game swung from end to end.

A Doyle cross just eluded Griiffiths and Leon Clarke headed onto the roof of Ikeme’s goal after a cross from Wilson.

Jordan Clarke’s heavy challenge on Doherty near Coventry’s right-hand corner flag in the 68th minute led to Wolves taking the lead. Sako lashed the free-kick into the middle and the ball bounced off Doyle to Scott Golbourne. 

He drilled in a low cross that was half cleared by a defender to Batth who headed forward to Griffith. The Scot took a touch with his left foot before firing past Murphy with his right. Griffiths was replaced shortly afterwards by Björn Sigurdarson.

Leon Clarke saw his free-kick deflected narrowly wide after Batth had been pulled up for a foul on Wilson, and then Doyle just failed to get his head to yet another Henry cross.

Henry went into the book after pulling back Blair Adams before City drew level in the 86th minute. Adams pumped the ball forward to Wilson on the edge of the home area and he crossed for substitute Phillips to run in a volley into the far corner.

Phillips had only been on the field for three minutes and shortly after his goal he was yellow carded for illegally stopping Sako who was in full flight.

Andy Webster missed a good chance for the visitors in stoppage time but defeat would have been extremely harsh on Wolves. 

Wolves: Ikeme, Doherty, Golbourne, McDonald, Batth, Ricketts (capt), Henry, Price (Davis 35), Griffiths (Sigurdarson 74), Doyle, Sako.

Unused subs: Edwards, Stearman, Forde, Cassidy, McCarey.

Booking: Henry (85 – foul).

City: Murphy, Adams, Thomas, Webster, Willis (Phillips 83), Baker (capt), Moussa (Manset 80), L. Clarke, J. Clarke, Fleck, Wilson.

Unused subs: Garner, Haynes, Barton, Rankine, Burge.

Bookings: J. Clarke (67 – foul), Phiilips (89 – foul).

Referee: F. Graham.

Attendance: 22,939.

Wolves Under 18s 1 (Smith)  Stoke City 1


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.