Skip to main content

Through To The Last Four


22:33 1st March 2017

Birmingham Senior Cup Progress

Wolves 3 (Wilson 10, Collins 48, Upton 60)

Burton Albion 0

Wolves are through to the semi-final of the Birmingham Senior Cup and a meeting with Sutton Coldfield Town after a convincing 3-0 victory over Burton Albion at a rain soaked Bucks Head.

There was a lively start to the proceedings within the first minute. From the kick-off Burton were awarded a free-kick to the right of the home area. Ben Fox’s kick was cleared upfield to Aaron Collins who ran into the area before shooting into the side netting.

Anthony Breslin threaded a through ball into the path of Joe Delacoe who turned his marker before hitting a low cross that was sidefooted wide by Christian Herc.

Connor Johnson headed over when Collins lifted a free-kick into the Burton box, and then Herc’s 20-yard drive was deflected over for a corner which led to the opening goal in the tenth minute.

And what a goal it was as Collins’ flag-kick dropped in front of Donovan Johnson whose first time volley was a blur as it flew into the corner of the net.

Three minutes later Wilson had the chance of a second when he ran into the left of the Burton box but his lob over keeper Harry Campbell was too high and the ball landed on the roof of the net.

Dan McKenna and Burton’s Fox were both booked for fouls within a two minute spell midway through the half.

On 28 minutes Collins was close to a second with a back header, following Herc’s deep cross. that drifted just wide of the far post with Campbell stranded.

Campbell then made a fine diving stop to keep out Delacoe’s angled drive before, in the 36th minute, Jack Ruddy’s first significant action of the game saw the Scottish stopper just getting his fingertips to a low effort from Will Miller.

Half-Time: Wolves 1 Burton 0

It took less than three second half minutes for Wolves to double their tally. Delacoe and Wilson both had shots blocked but Burton couldn’t clear their lines and when the ball fell to Collins on the edge of the area, he buried a low shot.

Wilson hooked a Breslin cross over the bar as Wanderers continued to dominate the attacking play and they were denied a clear penalty when Delacoe’s shot was clearly handled in front of the line by Charlie Gatter.

But justice was done seconds later after a foul to the right of the area gave Collins the chance to fire in a free-kick and Regan Upton forced the ball over the line at the back post with the linesman flagging to say it had crossed the line.

Duckens Nazon, on as a substitute for Wilson, missed a great chance by driving over the bar after he had been set up by Herc.

Ruddy, who had enjoyed a relatively quiet evening, was forced into a diving save after a snapshot from Fox as the rain which had been falling steadily throughout, suddenly became torrential.

Conditions were atrocious but the players from both sides battled on and after a Burton defender let the ball slip beneath his foot on the saturated surface, it let Nazon through but he was wide of the target with his shot.

In the end, Wolves were worthy winners as they moved through to the semis.

Wolves: Ruddy, Simpson, Breslin, McKenna (Watt 70), Upton, Johnson (capt), Collins, Levington, Wilson (Nazon 68), Herc, Delacoe.

Unused subs: John, Carnat, Armstrong.

Booking: McKenna (23 – foul).

Brewers: Campbell, Cotteril, Cook, Fox, Tandy, Gatter, Steele, Williamson (capt) (Hawkins 62), Miller (Dinanga 62) , Myers-Harness, Dowd (Thompson-Matthews 70).

Unused sub: Vale.

Bookings: Fox (25 – foul), Cotterill (59 – foul).

Referee: R. Dadley.

Attendance: 120.

    Related Articles