Skip to main content

REPORT: Wilson's The Talk Of The Town


12:14 29th March 2017

Youngsters through to Cup Final after penalty shoot-out drama.

Sutton Coldfield Town 2 (Robbins 74, Rooney-pen 85)

Wolves 2 (Wilson 20, 45+1)

Wolves win penalty shoot-out by 4-3

After Donovan Wilson had given Wolves a two goal interval lead in this Birmingham Senior Cup semi-final against Sutton Coldfield Town, the home side hit back to take the game into a penalty shoot-out.

And it was the Molineux youngsters that went through to the final where they will meet Leamington as they edged the shoot-out 4-3 with Wilson netting the winning spot kick.

The first chance of the game fell to Wilson who outpaced and dispossessed a home defender who was chasing the ball back towards his own goal. Home keeper James Wren was quickly off his line, however, and he blocked before he striker could get his shot away.

Wilson then played Bradley Carr in on the right and his low cross just eluded Nicu Carnat before Ross Finnie tested Wren with a dipping effort from 25-yards that was fingertipped over the bar. From Carnat’s corner Ryan Leak got up to head narrowly wide.

A Carnat snapshot from 20-yards drew another good save from Wren but he was beaten in the 20th minute as Wilson chased down Finnie’s through ball and calmly took the ball around the keeper before firing into the open net.

Cameron John did well to block a dangerous looking shot from Reece Webb and, as the home team exerted some pressure on the Wolves defence, Montel Gibson headed wide after a deep cross from Matt Curley.

Joe Delacoe, with a terrific piece of ball control, beat three men before passing to Wilson who was too high with a fierce cross-shot.

But Wilson made no mistake in first-half stoppage time as he swept the ball into the roof of the net after Carr had delivered a low, driven cross.

Half-Time: Town 0 Wolves 2 

Sutton made a bright start to the new half and they came close to pulling one back in the 56th minute when Rory Brown blocked Michael Townsend’s close range shot following a Nathan Rooney corner.

For Wolves, Carnat was unlucky when his effort from just inside the area was deflected over the bar by Nathan Fox.

There was a half chance for Wilson when Delacoe sent in a short cross but, for once, the striker failed to make a proper connection and the ball was scrambled clear.

Town pulled one back in the 74th minute when substitute Ryan Robbins found himself unmarked at the back post to take a low cross and drill the ball under Brown.

Worse was to follow in the 85th minute as Rooney levelled matters from the penalty spot after Carr’s shove on Robbins.

With no extra time the game went straight into a penalty shoot-out with Sutton taking the first kick.

The opening four spot kicks were all successful with Rooney and Josh Veeney netting for Town and Elliot Watt and Finnie for Wolves.

When keeper Wren stepped up for his side’s third kick he ballooned the ball high over the bar and, with Taylor Perry succeeding for Wanderers, the odds swung the way of the visitors especially when David Howarth’s kick was saved by Brown.

It left Delacoe with the chance of putting a seal on it but Wren made a fine save and when Townsend converted to level it at three all, it was left for Wilson to avert the chance of sudden death and he made no mistake.

Town: Wren, Curley, Fox, Rooney, Townsend (capt), Cleet, Wright, Webb, Gibson (Howarth 67), MacDonald (Venney 57), Njie (Robbins 57).

Unused subs: Birch, Willis.

Booking: Wright (73 – dissent).

Wolves: Brown, Sanderson, Breslin, Watt, Leak, John, Carr, Finney, Wilson (capt), Delacoe, Carnat (Perry 73).

Unused subs: Whittingham, Sealey, Allan, Smith.

Booking: Sanderson (90 – foul)

Referee: T. Reeves.

Attendance: 186.

    Related Articles