Skip to main content


15:34 28th January 2017

Cup Joy At Anfield

Liverpool 1 (Origi 81)

Wolves 2 (Stearman 1, Weimann 41)

Backed by 8,300 noisy supporters Wolves defied the odds to beat Premier League high fliers Liverpool at Anfield and secure a place in the fifth round of the FA Cup. And no-one could say that Paul Lambert’s men didn’t fully deserve the win.

Both sides made changes from their last games with Liverpool making nine changes and Wolves seven.

Liverpool kicked-off defending the Kop end and the legendary home of the Liverpool faithful was stunned into silence as Wolves took the lead after just 53 seconds.

Dave Edwards was fouled wide on the right and when Heldar Costa fired in the free-kick it was Richard Stearman who connected to send a bouncing header into the far corner of the net (pictured).

There was another opportunity on four minutes when Andreas Weimann was fouled by Connor Randall a yard outside the home box. Matt Doherty’s free-kick bounced back to the defender off the wall and when he tried to play Nouha Dicko in, the ball ran away to keeper Loris Karius.

Liverpool’s first corner was taken by Ben Woodburn and headed clear by Kortney Hause who found Dicko. The striker played Costa through and a second goal looked on as the winger ran into the box but he was challenged by Woodburn as he shot and the ball went wide.

Stearman cleared a low driven cross from Woodburn before Lucas lifted the ball over the bar from 20-yards as the Reds pushed forward looking for an equaliser.

George Saville needed treatment after colliding with Ovie Ejaria and then Costa was hurt after he clipped an advertising hoarding as he chased the ball over the by-line. Thankfully, both were able to continue.

Lee Evans was well wide with a first time effort before Stearman went into the book for pulling back Georginio Wijnaldum. Alberto Moreno’s free-kick was headed out by Hause and when the ball was played back into the box it was Hause again that cleared.

Ejaria appealed for a penalty after taking a return pass from Divock Origi but the referee, who was right up with play, deemed that Stearman’s challenge was a fair one.

Weimann won a corner off Ragnar Klavan but Costa’s flag-kick was cleared by Moreno before Wolves went two up in the 41st minute.

Doherty’s excellent interception on the edge of his own box saw the start of the move. He found Costa who took the ball forward and, despite a challenge from Moreno, kept his balance and placed a perfect ball into the path of Weimann who dummied the keeper and slotted into the empty net in front of a silent Kop.

Half-Time: Liverpool 0 Wolves 2

Liverpool sent Philippe Coutinho in place of Randall at the start of the new half.

In the 48th minute Hause was shown the yellow card after he had fouled Origi to the right of the Wolves area. Woodburn’s free-kick appeared to bounce off the legs of Klavan and run wide although it was uncomfortably close to the near post.

Wijnaldum went into the book for a foul on Costa near the right-hand corner of the home area but Costa’s free-kick was headed clear.

On the hour mark Harry Burgoyne made his first real save of the afternoon as he safely pouched a low shot from Coutinho which was more or less straight at him.

The keeper was soon in action again racing from his line to block Moreno’s drive. The ball rebounded back onto the Liverpool man and went out for a goal kick.

In a ten minute spell both sides made two changes – for Liverpool it was Daniel Sturridge for Roberto Firmino and Emre Can for Ejara whilst Paul Lambert switched Connor Ronan for Costa and Jon Dadi Bodvarsson for Dicko.

Liverpool were throwing everything into attack but the visiting defence were in a determined mood. When Sturridge did get a long distance shot away, Burgoyne had little difficulty in saving.

A final Wolves change saw Joe Mason taking the place of Weimann.

In the 81st minute a Ronan corner was headed forward by Edwards and then Hause to Bodvarsson whose shot bounced away off Karius.

Origi pulled one back for the hosts in the 86th minute, to set up a nervous ending for the Wolves support. Coutinho’s corner was headed in the air by Doherty and when Sturridge headed the ball back across the face of goal, Origi was waiting at the far post to turn it home.

Another Coutinho corner a minute later also dropped for Origi but this time Burgoyne blocked superbly to save the day.

In the 89th minute a wonderful piece of play from Bodvarsson ate up some time and saw the striker come within an ace of whet would have been a great individual effort. The ball was cleared upfield and Bodvarsson took it along the right-hand touchline towards the corner.

With no-one up in support, everyone was expecting him to hold it up by the corner flag. But instead, he cut into the area and, still alone, worked a shooting position and was only denied when his effort struck the legs of Lucas and bounced away.

There were four additional minutes for the Wanderers fans to endure but their team was in no mood to concede a late equaliser.

At the end, many Liverpool fans sportingly applauded the Wolves team from the pitch. 

Liverpool: Karius, Wijnaldum, Firmino (Sturridge 65), Gomez, Klavan, Moreno, Lucas (capt), Origi, Ejaria (Can 74), Randall (Coutinho 45), Woodburn.

Unused subs: Mignolet, Milner, Stewart, Wilson.

Booking: Wijnaldum (51 – foul).

Wolves: Burgoyne, Doherty, Coady, Edwards (capt), Stearman, Hause, Costa (Ronan 67), Evans, Dicko (Bodvarsson 71), Saville, Weimann (Mason 76).

Unused subs: Lonergan, Batth, Enobakhare, Morgan-White.

Bookings: Stearman (29 – foul), Hause (48 – foul), Evans (89 - foul).

Referee: C. Pawson.

Attendance: 52,469.


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.