Skip to main content


22:08 7th March 2017

A Useful Point

Ipswich Town 0

Wolves 0

Despite enjoying the vast majority of the attacking play after the interval after a drab first half, Wolves just couldn’t find a way through the Ipswich defence although they came as close as possible twice just before the end. 

But the goalless draw ended a six game losing run and provided a more than useful point.

There were five changes to the side that was unfortunate to lose to Reading at the weekend. Matt Doherty, Danny Batth, Jack Price, Jon Dadi Bodvarsson and Andreas Weimann all returned in place of Nouha Dicko, Conor Coady, Helder Costa and Dominic Iorfa, who were all named as substitutes, and the suspended Mike Williamson.

The first hint of danger came from the home side in the fifth minute. Tom Lawrence played Josh Emmanuel through on the overlap but his pull back ran to Price who cleared.

For Wolves, Ben Marshall’s curling centre drifted wide of the far post and when David McGoldrick laid a pass into the path of Cole Skuse, there were loud groans from the home supporters as he scooped the ball well wide of Carl Ikeme’s goal.

After a tepid opening to proceedings the game suddenly burst into life as Jonas Knudsen handled on the edge of the area as he scrambled on the floor to prevent Doherty having a clear run at goal. After the defender was shown the yellow card, Romain Saiss lifted the free-kick over the bar.

In the 31st minute Lawrence’s corner dropped in front of Toumani Diagourage who hit a tremendous 20-yard volley which, thankfully, was wide of the mark.

Dave Edwards appeals for handball when McGoldrick blocked his far post header after a short cross from Weimann were rejected by the referee and then Doherty came to the rescue at the other end as he cleared Lawrence’s low cross from in front of the goal line.

In first half stoppage time the best chance of the half fell to McGoldrick who was given a clear sight of goal by Lawrence, but Ikeme reacted smartly diving to smother the angled drive.

Half-Time: Town 0 Wolves 0

The second period opened with a booking for Batth for tripping Tommy Smith. Lawrence floated the free-kick into the box where George Saville was waiting to head clear.

Ikeme and Grant Ward needed attention after they collided in going for a long through ball but both were soon back on their feet.

Home appeals for a penalty when Doherty and Lawrence collided in the visitors box were ignored by the referee who instead awarded a corner, the first of three in quick succession all taken by Lawrence and all dealt with by Ikeme.

In the 54trh minute Weimann crossed low to Bodvarsson at the back post. He teed up Marshall who tried to steer the ball past a defender on the line but was wide with his effort.

Three crosses from Doherty had the home defence on its toes. From the first Bodvarsson’s shot was blocked and then the second saw the Icelandic striker try and fail with an overhead kick. The defender’s third attempt took a deflection and the ball looped up into the arms of Bartosz Bialkowski.

Kortney Hause cleared a McGoldrick free-kick but it was Wolves that were looking the more likely to make the breakthrough and as the game ran into the final few minutes, Paul Lambert replaced Weimann with Costa in the hope of conjuring up a late winner.

And that hope almost came to fruition in the final five minutes as the woodwork twice came to Town’s rescue.

Bodvarsson broke into the right of the Town box and from a sharp angle hammered the ball against the outside of the near upright.

Then, in the 88th minute, Marshall’s free-kick from 20-yards beat Bialkowski and smacked against the bar before being cleared for a corner.

The home side were roundly booed by their supporters at the final whistle whilst their counterparts from Molineux were left to ponder just how close their side had come to a much needed win. 

Town: Bialkowski, Knudsen, Chambers (capt), Smith Kenlock 61), Berra, Skuse, McGoldrick, Ward, Lawrence, Emmanuel (Moore 84), Diagouraga.

Unused subs: Gerken, Pitman, Spence, Bru, Sears.

Booking: Knudsen (20 – handling).

Wolves: Ikeme, Doherty, Saville, Edwards, Batth (capt), Hause, Saiss, Price, Bodvarsson, Marshall, Weimann (Costa 82).

Unused subs: Lonergan, Stearman, Dicko, Coady, Iorfa, Cavaleiro.

Booking: Batth (47 – foul).

Referee: D. Deadman.

Attendance: 15,076.


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.