Skip to main content


17:30 4th March 2017

Luckless Wanderers

Reading 2 (Kermorgant 48, McShane 78)

Wolves 1 (Marshall 50)

Wolves failed to break their losing run despite dominating much of the game at Reading with controversial decisions all going against the Molineux men.

Head coach Paul Lambert rang the changes after four consecutive defeats with only Carl Ikeme, George Saville, Conor Coady, Dave Edwards and Helder Costa retaining their places following the Molineux setback against Birmingham. 

Wolves kicked-off attacking the end of the Madejski Stadium that housed around 1,800 of their supporters.

Mike Williamson had to hook clear an early cross from Roy Beerens on a pitch that was threadbare but dry.

Adrian Popa then sent a short centre onto the roof of Ikeme’s net and the first threat from Wolves came when Ben Marshall tried to put Dominic Iorfa in on the overlap but the through pass was a tad too strong and the ball ran out of play.

The first corner of the game, in the 19th minute, went Wolves way. Costa’s kick was cleared upfield to Popa, on the break, but Kortney Hause got back to clear the danger.

Williamson won a race to get to a long through ball with Danny Williams by nodding the ball back into the grateful arms of Ikeme but there had been little else to excite the crowd in a game that reached the half-hour stage virtually devoid of chances.

Williamson went into the book for a foul on John Swift some 30-yards out.  Swift’s low free-kick went through the wall to become the first on target shot of the afternoon but Ikeme had no trouble in gathering.

Costa picked the ball up on the halfway line and sprinted down the right flank before cutting into the box and hitting a low drive that was deflected behind by, it appeared, the hand of Paul McShane.

Marshall took the resultant corner and Romaine Saiss’s near post header was clawed away by keeper Ali Al Habsi with the Wolves players appealing, to no avail, that the ball had crossed the line.

Half-time: Reading 0 Wolves 0

Three minutes after the break, Reading took the lead. Moore’s shot from 25-yards lacked power and looked to be covered by Ikeme but Yann Kermorgant stuck out a foot to divert the ball past the wrong-footed keeper.

It took Wolves just two minutes to draw level as Nouha Dicko sent in a low cross that was turned over the line from inside the six-yard box by Marshall for his first goal for the club.

Coady, who was having a fine game in midfield, drew a diving save from Al Habsi. Costa’s corner was only half cleared and when Coady returned the ball into the box, Williamson got in a powerful header that flew into the arms of Al Habsi.

Reading then made a double change with Lewis Grabban and Yakou Meite replacing Beerens and Popa. 

Dicko hit a low cross into the side-netting after running onto Costa’s clever flick, and then the striker went into the book for an untidy challenge on Joey van den Berg.

More substitutions followed with George Evans taking over from Van den Berg and, for Wolves, Andi Weimann replaced Dicko.

Al Habsi made a terrific save holding on to a snapshot from Saville and, given the pressure Wolves were putting on the home defence, it just seemed like a matter of time before the pressure paid off. 

When a goal did arrive, however, it went the way of Reading and it was completely against the run of play. Swift lifted a free-kick into the box and McShane, from what looked to be an offside position, headed past Ikeme.

Jon Dadi Bodvarsson was sent on for Saville and then, to rub salt into the wounds, Williamson was sent off for a second bookable offence. It seemed harsh to the extreme as he looked to be trying to get out of the way of Kermorgant before the pair collided. Romaine Saiss saw yellow for dissent before play restarted.

As the game entered the four added minutes, Kermorgant, for a foul on Costa, and Williams, for time wasting, were booked.

Marshall was wide when he connected with a Coady cross, and, with the last move of the game, Bodvarsson headed over the far angle after a Marshall cross.

Reading: Al Habsi, Gunter, Van Den Berg (Evans 71), McShane (capt), Beerens (Grabban 63), Swift, Moore, Kermorgant, Williams, Blackett, Popa (Meite 63).

Unused subs: Obita, Jaakkola, Kelly, Mutch.

Bookings: Kermorgant (90+1 – foul), Williams (90+1- time wasting).

Wolves: Ikeme, Iorfa, Saville (Bodvarsson 84), Edwards (capt), Williamson, Hause, Costa, Saiss, Dicko (Weimann 72), Marshall, Coady (Doherty 90+3).

Unused subs: Lonergan, Batth, Price, Enobakhare.

Bookings: Williamson (38 – foul), Dicko (66 – foul), Saiss (85 – dissent).

Sending-Off: Williamson (85 – foul - second bookable offence)

Referee: A. Madley.

Attendance: 18,629 (1,814 away supporters).

Everton Academy Under 23s 3 Wolves 2 (Giles, Watt).


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.