Skip to main content


17:40 1st January 2016

Determination Brings Its Reward

Brighton & Hove Albion 0

Wolves 1 (Goldson-og 32)

Wolves made it three wins from three games with no goals conceded from the holiday period after a victory at Brighton that came about through the determination and hard work of every member of Kenny Jackett’s side.

The only goal of the game may have been an own goal, but the Molineux men defended resolutely and had the in-form Carl Ikeme as back up as they recorded only their second ever away League victory over the Seagulls. 

Wanderers were unchanged for the third successive game with Jack Price returning from illness to take a seat on the bench.

Brighton kicked-off attacking the end of the ground that housed around 800 hardy supporters that had made the long trip down from the Midlands.

In Wolves’ first attack James Henry tried to set up Dominic Iorfa on the overlap but the ball ran out of play before the defender pulled in back into the heart of the area.

There was a chance for Brighton in the fourth minute as James Wilson ran through into the area but as he prepared to shoot Ethan Ebanks-Landell got in a perfectly timed tackle to concede a corner that was cleared.

The early pressure all came from the home team but it took a good save from David Stockdale to prevent Benik Afobe from giving Wolves a 12th minute lead. 

Henry broke from deep inside his own half and slid the ball through to Afobe whose powerful, angled drive was turned behind by the legs of the Brighton keeper.

Then it was Ikeme’s turn to display his agility as he made a spectacular save in turning over a 20-yard volley from Jamie Murphy.

Wolves took the lead in the 32nd minute courtesy of former Molineux schoolboy Connor Goldson who turned Jordan Graham’s cross into his own net at the near post.

Bruno Saltor was shown the yellow card for a crude challenge on Graham and seconds later Stockdale rescued his side with a smart save as he pushed out Henry’s drive.

In the 45th minute Henry was penalised for a tackle on Murphy to the left of the Wolves box. Murphy took the kick himself but it was a poor effort that was cleared by Henry who was stationed on the near post.

Half-Time; Brighton 0 Wolves 1

The new half opened with Ikeme falling forwards onto a sharp effort from Wilson.

Iorfa was then booked for ‘leaning on’ Wilson as the pair chased the ball towards the by-line. Wilson’s free-kick was cleared to the far side and the visitors responded with a Henry cross that was too deep.

Brighton should have been level in the 51st minute after Goldson set up Lewis Dunk who fired over the bar from just eight-yards out.

A short through ball gave Wilson a chance as he sidestepped his marker but, like Dunk, his effort sailed over the bar.

Both sides made changes as the game approached the three-quarter mark. Elvis Manu replaced Bobby Zamora for Brighton whilst Bjorn Sigurdarson had his first senior action for Wolves in two years when he went on for Henry.

Wilson’s long-range effort flew straight into the arms of Ikeme who then had to dive at the feet of Manu as Brighton pressed hard for an equaliser.

In the 78th minute Graham intercepted a clearance and cut into the home area but his shot was blocked at close range by a defender. The ball was only half cleared to Conor Coady who hit a terrific shot from 25-yards that Stockdale tipped over the bar.

Ikeme pouched a 20-yard volley from Dale Stephens and then the keeper brilliantly touched the ball onto the bar after Saltor had let fly from the edge of the box.

It was all hands to the pumps for the final stages and in the 95th minute, Ikeme made another great save as he pushed Dunk’s header over the bar (pictured). 

The fourth assistant’s board displayed five minutes but the game had drifted into eight before the referee finally signalled that the points were Molineux bound.

Seagulls: Stockdale, Saltor (capt), Dunk, Stephens, Kayal, Crofts (Hemed 74), Calderon, Murphy, Goldson, Wilson, Zamora (Manu 63).

Unused subs: Maenpaa, Forster-Caskey, Holla, Ince, Chicksen.

Booking: Saltor (37 – foul).

Wolves: Ikeme, Iorfa, Doherty, Coady, Batth (capt), Ebanks-Landell, Henry (Sigurdarson 66), Edwards, Afobe (Le Fondre 90+4), McDonald, Graham (Byrne 86).

Unused subs: McCarey, Golbourne, Wallace, Price.

Booking: Iorfa (50 – foul).

Referee: C. Kavanagh.

Attendance: 26,321.


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.